Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Black Drum- No Way!

LongboardR
LongboardR Posts: 101
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
So, my office looks over a little estuary on Tampa Bay and I have been watching a school of black drum feeding off a oyster bar for over a week now. I had to try and land one and came to work early with a few blue crabs and rod in the back. It did not take long to land this bruiser. I am by no means a fish snob but I could not convince myself to keep him and smoke on the BGE. I am very interested if anyone has done up a big drum or any fish that other turn their nose at. Anyway, was at my desk with in 20 minutes of getting to the office. Great way to start the day!

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Wow! Impressive fish. Not the way I saw this thread going. I was thinking this was gonna be about a drum smoker.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Wow! Impressive fish. Not the way I saw this thread going. I was thinking this was gonna be about a drum smoker.
    +2  However, I'm seriously jealous!  Not sure I would ever make it to my desk if my office was beside that view!

Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited August 2012

Is Black Drum not a Red Fish (or in the same family)? If so I grill it all the time (called Red Fish in Texas).  Travis is the man for that info......

OK I just checked and they are not.... Sorry. But Black Drum is very good cooked like Red Fish: cook on the half shell (that is cooking it with scales / skin on after you fillet it).

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• LongboardR
    LongboardR Posts: 101

Trust me if this was a Redfish he would be dinner tonight but most folks down this way don't eat the black drums (I was tempted to try). I hear the smallers ones are ok.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Haven't cooked any on the egg but I like black drum- maybe not ones this big You can try blackened with a mango salsa- always one of my favorites
    Greensboro, NC
  • Nice fish and nice view!

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited August 2012
    As a general rule, drums over 15 pounds - the meat consistency is more like chicken than fish, and that's not necessarily a good thing.  I've always released the big ones.  And, no big deal cause you can pull em out, but they're full-o-worms. 

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Just had some freshly caught Redfish last night, good eats!!
  • Black drum is different than redfish but same family. Great to eat.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Whether or not people eat it, Looks like a nice catch
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Good lord, man. The possibilities are endless. Black Drum are great. 

Filet. Smoke the thick part(near the head) and grill the thin part(near the tail)

I grew up on the beach, fished for a job in high school, cleaned fish for a job during college, and have several professional captains in my family. 

Black Drum are one of the best. Let me know if you have any questions. And for the love of all that is Egg'dom, dont waste that delicious fish. 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.