Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza/Baking Stone & Soapy Water?

the_alchemist83
the_alchemist83 Posts: 84
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
So...last night I had my stone in the sink as I was going to be rinsing with & scrubbing with the metal brush that you can buy for it.  However, before I was able to do my brother (who is currently staying with me) started to wash his plate in the sink & dumped some soapy water onto the stone.  I quickly rinsed/flushed the stone with water for a good 5-10 minutes, scrubbed with the steel brush & rinsed again.  Am I going to be okay here or is this thing going to be toast?  I think I'll stop trying to "clean" things from here on out and just burn stuff off of it.  Thanks guys.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sounds like it was fleeting.  Only one way to find out.  Make a pizza.

What I'd do is let it dry out, then fire up the Egg & put the stone in there for awhile to see if you can "bake out" any of the remaining fumes from the soap.  Take it out & inspect & smell it & see how it looks & smells. 

More than likely, it should be OK. 

Or, you can just do as Nolaegghead suggested & go ahead & use it to make a pizza w/out doing a "bake out" on it.  If it was me, I'd do the bake out first, just to give myself a peace of mind. 

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • nolaegghead
    I'll warm the stone up for about an hour at 650-ish before using, I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to extend the time/temp. Or do a bejesus bake even higher than that.
  • Yeah, the last pizza I did was at 650 F, I let the egg & stone preheat for about an hour.  Figured I'd maybe just extend it a bit this time and see what happens.  I don't have to worry about anything that comes off absorbing into the egg do I?
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    could always try making toast or a pancake also on it . i would think if its soapy the taste would transfer to anything cooked on it and those have little to no effort involved 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I would do a burn off on it.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Why do you wash the pizza stone? I have pizza stone in the oven 5+ years never washed and the one for the egg gets the same neglect. Gerhard
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Why do you wash the pizza stone? I have pizza stone in the oven 5+ years never washed and the one for the egg gets the same neglect. Gerhard
    I've just had one for about a year and I've never washed it either.  Just take a metal spatula and get off any baked on cheese, etc.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    You're fine

I was told that water is the ultimate solvent." It will get rid of anything and therefore you dont need soap" (we were talking about washing glasses in a german beerhouse). So i said "removes everything?". "Yes. Except maybe wax from lipstick."
    Ok. I said "So wash the lipstick off with soap then wash the soap off with water, which removes everything as you said, which includes soap"

My point is that soap is a surfactant. It'll tighten up around and surround grease. It doesnt 'soak' into something like ceramic so much as pull grease and oils from it. If anything, it'd sit on the surface

Try not to use it because you dont need to. You can leave some oil and grease behind (call it 'seasoning'). But if you erred and used soap, it will rinse off. If it doesnt suds up, there's no soap left.

No worries
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Why do you wash the pizza stone? I have pizza stone in the oven 5+ years never washed and the one for the egg gets the same neglect. Gerhard
    Not really washed, just used water & the metal brush to scrape burnt stuff off.  Obviously, I've learned my lesson the hard way & it will not be touching the sink again.  Thanks for the answers guys.  Much appreciated.
  • nolaegghead
    Yeah, he knows he shouldn't use soap....said his brother dumped some soapy water on it when it was set in the sink.  It should be fine.

Pizza stones are very porous - they're like sponges that you can't squeeze.   Soap is hard to rinse out of it.  That's why the instructions say don't use soap.
    Yeah, he knows he shouldn't use soap....said his brother dumped some soapy water on it when it was set in the sink.  It should be fine.

Pizza stones are very porous - they're like sponges that you can't squeeze.   Soap is hard to rinse out of it.  That's why the instructions say don't use soap.
    They're porous. Just not that porous. The fear is outsized compared to the reality.
  • nolaegghead
    Is the fear outsized to reality?  Maybe, but my fear-o-meter only detected two threads on this recently - one was a guy that must have poured joy liquid or something directly on a dry stone and claimed all his pizzas tasted like chemicals.  The other is this guy who probably read the other thread.

More likely a scenario is someone cleans the stone by over soaking it in water, then throws it in a hot egg and it cracks.

All ya gotta know is don't use soap on the stone.  Don't soak it in water.
    they aren't really that porous.
    seems like they would be.  but they aren't

• Is the fear outsized to reality?  Maybe, but my fear-o-meter only detected two threads on this recently - one was a guy that must have poured joy liquid or something directly on a dry stone and claimed all his pizzas tasted like chemicals.  The other is this guy who probably read the other thread.

More likely a scenario is someone cleans the stone by over soaking it in water, then throws it in a hot egg and it cracks.

All ya gotta know is don't use soap on the stone.  Don't soak it in water.
    Yeah, won't be doing either of those things.  I think the next time I do pizza I'll just make sure to pre-heat a little bit longer than normal at 650 and we'll go from there.  Thanks again guys.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Guys, just go buy a papa murphys. It comes with a thingy under the pizza that you can cook it on.

JK!

:))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.