Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Dinner

HMB_Egg
HMB_Egg Posts: 18
edited August 2012 in Pork
Everything on the egg, my wife attended a ribs class that Smitty put on at Eggs By the Bay. Awesome !!

Comments

• Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    So kick down Smitty's recipe.  It certainly looks worth duplicating!
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    Looks mighty tasty.
  • Hey Tim,

Good to see that you guys have produced great looking ribs.

Bayside-

I'm sure your ribs are just as good, or you would take a class yourself.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• HMB_Egg
    HMB_Egg Posts: 18
    Thanks Smitty, you da man! Turned out great!

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

little self promotion here.  thanks for sharing pretty much nothing!

• Wow, great reason NOT to take a class from this guy.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• We've worked very hard to perfect our competition secrets over the years, tons of practice. We've paid to take several classes ourself to gain knowledge on cooking at a high level.  We offer this cooking knowledge in monthly classes at our Big Gren Egg classroom for our clientele who wish to "up their game" on the Egg.  I'm happy that we see our pleased customers get something from these sold out classes along the way.

With all the Rib recipes available to anyone on this website why do you feel the need to put our operation down?   Practice your ribs.       

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    jesus, four people in a row not merely asking for a recipe, but outright complaining that the guy didn't post it.

wtf?
    seen plenty of rib posts where people just said "great looking ribs" without berating the guy for not posting he method.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • dogfoot
    dogfoot Posts: 62
    must be an Obama supporter  (wheres my free ****)
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Please, let's keep politics off our forum.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    The people with all the best recipes should give 70% of their recipes to the folks that haven't taken the time to come up with any themselves. It's only fair.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • XLBalco

in obama's americal everything is free.  im just asking for what is jutifiably mine

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    The people with all the best recipes should give 70% of their recipes to the folks that haven't taken the time to come up with any themselves. It's only fair.
    +1

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I get my politics from political sites.  I don't want to hear it here.
    Great looking ribs!
    Seattle, WA
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    edited August 2012
    must be an Obama supporter  (wheres my free ****)

[-X  

Take it somewhere else. And for the record, passing out "free ****" on cooking methods and recipes is essentially the point of this entire site and the bulk of the reason most of us are here, isn't it?

It's not unusual for people to ask for the method they used. I personally think @SMITTYtheSMOKER got the response he did is because he came off so damned condescending in his first post. That's my take on it, anyway. First post in the thread, that is. I realize it was far from his first post on the forum.

Not a soul here gives a second thought to "kicking down" a Myron Mixon method / recipe, Reichlan (sp?), or anyone else that charges for classes and cookbooks. This is only out of the ordinary because the guy giving the class happens to be posting in this thread.
    XL BGE
  • I get my politics from political sites.  I don't want to hear it here.
    +1,000
  • XLBalco
    edited August 2012

It's not unusual for people to ask for the method they used. I personally think @SMITTYtheSMOKER got the response he did is because he came off so damned condescending in his first post. That's my take on it, anyway. First post in the thread, that is. I realize it was far from his first post on the forum.

this             .
  • I do try to come to this forum and lend free advice to newbies as much as I can, sort of a "pay it back" action that makes one feel good I guess.  Again the best cooking advice I ever got was someone who told me to keep practicing...something to be said about working hard at what you love.

You guys have a great day, go cook something.  

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

I do try to come to this forum and lend free advice to newbies as much as I can, sort of a "pay it back" action that makes one feel good I guess.  Again the best cooking advice I ever got was someone who told me to keep practicing...something to be said about working hard at what you love.

You guys have a great day, go cook something.  

Well said!  We are all here to share and help each other out

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• dogfoot
    dogfoot Posts: 62

Your all right I was out of line  Sorry

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    no worries here!  It is all good

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    I can see things from his point of view. As an average Joe, I have no problem sharing my recipes with others. However if my barbecue was a source of my income, such as classes that I taught or if I was competing in the barbecue circuit, that would be a different matter. It would be kind of hard to fill up a class of paying customers or win a competition if I were giving away all my secrets for nothing on a forum. Just sayin'

Living Large and XL

• chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    I can see things from his point of view. As an average Joe, I have no problem sharing my recipes with others. However if my barbecue was a source of my income, such as classes that I taught or if I was competing in the barbecue circuit, that would be a different matter. It would be kind of hard to fill up a class of paying customers or win a competition if I were giving away all my secrets for nothing on a forum. Just sayin'
    I disagree with this completely. All of the information is out there already free for the taking on the internet. People aren't taking classes because they can't find the information anywhere else. People are taking the classes either because they think it will be fun, or because they believe (correctly) that there is a real benefit to the see it / feel it / taste it / smell it hands on nature of a class that will save them lots of trial and error. I've been baking since I was 9 years old but I've still found a lot of benefit in the odd class here and there. They're fun and no one can truly describe exactly what croissant dough is supposed to feel like, but if you have a chance to feel it for yourself then you know. Just my .02. 
    XL BGE
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    If someone doesn't want to share recipes that is completely up to them, but as I understand it, sharing ideas, techniques etc. is the point of this forum. Self promotion of one's business doesn't have any more place here than talking politics IMO. George
    George
  • nolaegghead
    Just trying to be neutral here, but first of all, I don't remember anyone asking Smitty directly for the recipe, they asked HMB_egg (who started the thread and who's wife took the class) for the recipe. 

Second, I clicked on Smitty's profile and browsed through his posts, and most of them are just regular posts, trying to help people by suggesting techniques he's obviously leaned on to the forum.  I did see some stuff like "yeah, we just got in some apricot wood", but nothing blatantly self promoting.  I might be wrong, just browsed them.

Third, I've seen plenty of threads that promote products and services that are popular (swing racks and the like).  Eggheads seem pretty enthusiastic about the products and all the power to them.

Fourth, if you're in BBQ competition, you may have a better chance winning if you don't show all your cards.  The competitors can read this too.

Maybe some of Smitty's comments were a bit smarmy, but pretty far from troll-inciting, IMHO.
  • Just trying to be neutral here, but first of all, I don't remember anyone asking Smitty directly for the recipe, they asked HMB_egg (who started the thread and who's wife took the class) for the recipe. 

Second, I clicked on Smitty's profile and browsed through his posts, and most of them are just regular posts, trying to help people by suggesting techniques he's obviously leaned on to the forum.  I did see some stuff like "yeah, we just got in some apricot wood", but nothing blatantly self promoting.  I might be wrong, just browsed them.

Third, I've seen plenty of threads that promote products and services that are popular (swing racks and the like).  Eggheads seem pretty enthusiastic about the products and all the power to them.

Fourth, if you're in BBQ competition, you may have a better chance winning if you don't show all your cards.  The competitors can read this too.

Maybe some of Smitty's comments were a bit smarmy, but pretty far from troll-inciting, IMHO.
    +1 - Smitty is the real deal.  He eats, lives, and breathes Eggs.  That's ALL his store sells (as opposed to the "dealer" I bought mine from who also sold spas, swings, and even inline skates - hindsight being 20/20 I should've seen that as a red flag & only wish that I'd have known about Smitty at that time).  

At any rate, any time I've been to Smitty's shop, he has been more than enthusiastic to assist me, and has even talked me OUT of buying something from him, even though I went there for the sole reason of purchasing said item. But after asking me certain questions about usage & functionality, he suggested I could do the same thing w/ homemade items - basically he talked me out of a sale of his products at his own shop, which speaks VOLUMES to me (as opposed to other retailers who try to upsale you on things you don't need).  

He's also given me FREE advice on perfecting my own cooks, without even once trying to sell me on anything - just talking to me, giving me tips, making me a better BBQ chef.  

If there's one thing I've learned in this world, it's that ya can't please everyone all the time.  So for those of you complaining about not getting a FREE professional competition BBQ'ers "secret" rib recipe - perhaps instead of asking for free handouts, you'd be better served to actually attempt to cook some ribs & then post your results w/ specific questions about how to make them better - at least TRY to make an attempt before wanting to be spoon fed.  

Ya know, the old "teach a man to fish" adage...

JMHO (jumps off the soapbox)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    edited August 2012
    I don't dispute that the store and service provided there are anything but first class, I have never been there so cannot speak on the subject . A post of (if you want to cook better go practice or pay me to help you) comes off a bit arrogant at best, however.
    George
  • I don't dispute that the store and service provided there are anything but first class, I have never been there so cannot speak on the subject . A post of (if you want to cook better go practice or pay me to help you) comes off a bit arrogant at best, however.

Just to be clear, I would suggest one practice or take a class in their area or close by.  I am not selling classes on the forum.  I recently turned down 20 customers on this very form because we simply don't ship merchandise. 

Today's smarmy cooking tip....don't use mustard on your BBQ!  LOL

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• nolaegghead
    I'm smitten with smitty's smarmyness.  You're a good guy!