Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Granite color for table top

Options
Charcoal_Addict
Charcoal_Addict Posts: 227
edited August 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I was able to find a deal on some granite for the table top but the challenge now will be selecting the right granite color. The cedar table will be stained charcoal grey. The Cooker is a Red Kamado Joe. What granite color would you chose to match up. I thought about white but staining would be a huge issue making white a bad choice.
2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring

Comments

• LizzieSamps
    Options
    Black or a darker gray than the stain
  • SalsaGids
    Options
    Off-white look good on mine, and stains are not visible. Instead of Granite I have Terrazzo, but this phot gives you a good idea how a light color looks
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Options
    When we had our granite installed the guys were careful to cover it in the truck and stacked outside.  They said it would fade in the sun.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    It will definitely fade- but you can reseal and it will darken back up
    Greensboro, NC
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Options
    I went with one that has black with brown that matches the stain on the cypress.....I think it looks great. Did not do entire top though...

• Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    Thanks guys. The one thing I like about lighter colors is they're cooler to the touch when working with them in the summer. They'll get warm but not broiling hot. Darker color granites will get roasty toasty in the sun, if I wanted to use a darker color than designing something to shade the table may be required to keep the surface useable when it's 90 F + outside.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I have granite tiles inlaid in my table...they are black...that way it does not show stains etc...I love the granite...
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Charcoal_Addict Posts: 227
    edited August 2012
    Options
    It's a tough trade. Lights colors stay cooler in the sun; darker colors get hot in direct sun but don't stain as easily. I was thinking about concrete until I found out how often it needs sealing and the insane prices contractors charge to fab concrete countertops makes granite look cheap.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    go to the granite place, pick out the color you like, ask for a sample, they always have samples. take it home and go drip some leomn juice, some ketchup, some bbq sauce on it and see how it stains. darker colors dont show the stains, however each piece absorbs stains differently, harder softer etc.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    Go dark, because between spills, charcoal dust, grit and grime in the air, the top is going to be dirty.  A light color top will only show off the dirt and stains.
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    I went with one that has black with brown that matches the stain on the cypress.....I think it looks great. Did not do entire top though...

The inset granite is "uba tuba".  I have it in the kitchen and have a 24 x 24 piece on my egg table.  No sun fade issues after a year, but keep clean and polish periodically.  BTW......nice table.  What sealer did you use?
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA