Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Swing rack?

Comments

• CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Thread is starting to fade....
    :((
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Since Tom at Ceramic Grill Store has too much class to self promote, I will for him.

Check out Ceramic Grill Store. The best custom accessories for the Egg.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/
  • I used my swing rack the other night for the first time, it worked great. I did a pizza on both racks (no pictures, blame the single malt Scotch) and only noticed one minor issue - probably my lack of knowledge. I got my LBGE up to ~525º, loaded the pies, and then cooked them for ~12 minutes - they looked great! The issue is related to the crust on the bottom grate, the bottom of the pie was almost burnt. I had the Plate Setter with the legs down (as stated in the BGE Plate Setter instructions) and had a good amount of cornmeal spread evenly on the pizza stone (the BGE pizza stone). The pie on the upper rack was perfect - that's the one my wife had. As I said, I'm sure the problem was/is my lack of knowledge of the LBGE heating levels.

Just a newbie question, is a Plate Setter really necessary for cooking a pizza?

Thanks.
  • CGW1
    @ chrisnjenn - was that sort of a backhanded comment?? No doubt Tom has some good products out there, but not sure if I'm reading to much into your comment or your just looking to change the subject here.

@ rlgibson - my opinion, any type of indirect is a good idea so you don't over cook or burn the underside of the crust once the stone gets so hot.
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    I have not use cornmeal since my first pizza.  The cornmeal was turned black and burned the bottom of my pizza.  I have been putting the pizza on the stone and have not had a burned pizza since.  I always go indirect on my pizzas.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Thank you for the tip, next time I'll try without the cornmeal - mine was also turning black and burnt. Sounds like staying with the Plate Setter is the the way to go.
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Try it with platesetter legs up.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Thank you for the tip, next time I'll try without the cornmeal - mine was also turning black and burnt. Sounds like staying with the Plate Setter is the the way to go.
    I use cornmeal on my peel, but never, ever put it on the pizza stone itself.  When you put it on the peel, not very much of it transfers to the stone.  Also if you are baking two pizzas, you probably need to take the one on the lower level off a couple of minutes earlier.
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Hello franco

do you have a better answer for my indirect to direct set up?

Thread is starting to fade....
    Franco
  • timekpr1
    edited August 2012
    My first cook with the new swing rack. Mushrooms and onions in a packet, yellow squash and peach/blueberry cobbler all cooking at the same time.  Finished with two great ribeyes--great thanks to Thermapen.  The cobbler tasted great but I cooked it too long--first time with my old cast iron.
    I wanted to do the ribeyes direct but I couldn't figure out the sequence to make it work.  But indirect at 425 worked.

Dan
    imageimageimage
    Just to make sure I understand what you did - you put the plate setter in place for an indirect cook.  You then put the CGW grill in place using both the upper and lower racks.  The lower rack was used for the steaks.  The upper rack was used for everything else.  If I have it correctly, I see two options.  One is to consider GrillGrates (I love mine).  By placing them on the grill I think you are setting up a quasi-indirect cook rack above.  That is what I do.  Otherwise you could probably suspend a drip pan under just the upper rack to create an indirect cooking surface.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • jedawa
    jedawa Posts: 24
    @CGW1- I just ordered swing rack for XL. Any word on time frame?
    XL Big Green Egg, adjustable rig combo, Woo2, CyberQ, plate setter, Weber Genesis
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061

Since Tom at Ceramic Grill Store has too much class to self promote, I will for him.

Check out Ceramic Grill Store. The best custom accessories for the Egg.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/

For the record, CGW1 (Franco) did not start this thread. He has done nothing but answer questions about his products. I'm sure that he is excited about the overwhelming response to this thread and the orders that have spawned from it. But I would hardly say he is self promoting. He has shown nothing but class. He has even written very positive things about Tom's products. Soap box dismounted. Great job Franco. Here's to continued success with your product.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • CGW1
    @ jedawa - thanks for the order, should be able to get something to you soon.  I'll reply to your email order with additional info.

@ cortguitarman - I appreciate the kind words, thanks.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Since Tom at Ceramic Grill Store has too much class to self promote, I will for him. Check out Ceramic Grill Store. The best custom accessories for the Egg. http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/
    For the record, CGW1 (Franco) did not start this thread. He has done nothing but answer questions about his products. I'm sure that he is excited about the overwhelming response to this thread and the orders that have spawned from it. But I would hardly say he is self promoting. He has shown nothing but class. He has even written very positive things about Tom's products. Soap box dismounted. Great job Franco. Here's to continued success with your product.
    Well said. Tom and Franco make great products period.

Franco has called me a few times asking for input, likes and dislikes. Great customer service. I would love to see Franco create something for a Small and maybe even a new Mini setup. There are so few options for the Mini that I think with creativity, the sky is endless. I plan on adding a Small and a 2-tier would be great (hint hint) :)
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • timekpr1

Since Tom at Ceramic Grill Store has too much class to self promote, I will for him. Check out Ceramic Grill Store. The best custom accessories for the Egg. http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/
    I am not sure why you felt compelled to make a statement like that in this thread.  I do not think there is a question that both manufacturers make a quality product (I have both).  You are comparing apples to oranges between the two though.  Both are designed to do different things.  Not to say that they cannot work together.  Start a thread for Tom and the Ceramic Grill Store if you want to promote his product.
  • timekpr1
    Dan4BBQ.  Any luck with your direct/indirect issue?
    My first cook with the new swing rack. Mushrooms and onions in a packet, yellow squash and peach/blueberry cobbler all cooking at the same time.  Finished with two great ribeyes--great thanks to Thermapen.  The cobbler tasted great but I cooked it too long--first time with my old cast iron.
    I wanted to do the ribeyes direct but I couldn't figure out the sequence to make it work.  But indirect at 425 worked.

Dan
    imageimageimage
    Just to make sure I understand what you did - you put the plate setter in place for an indirect cook.  You then put the CGW grill in place using both the upper and lower racks.  The lower rack was used for the steaks.  The upper rack was used for everything else.  If I have it correctly, I see two options.  One is to consider GrillGrates (I love mine).  By placing them on the grill I think you are setting up a quasi-indirect cook rack above.  That is what I do.  Otherwise you could probably suspend a drip pan under just the upper rack to create an indirect cooking surface.

• Thinking of getting ordering the 2 Tier Asjustablr Swing Rack for my LBGE. Just hard to pull the trigger. I actually have that and the Grill Gripper in my shopping cart just staring at it.
  • "Adjustable", either small keys on my phone or dare I say, big thumbs.
  • Do it now...you'll order later anyway. Get it in the mail possible using by the weekend
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    I noticed when doing some burgers at 450 I couldn't toast the buns on the upper grate, they just baked there with no grill marks even with nothing on the lower grate.  It might be worth a try doing the things you want "indirect" on the upper grate with no platesetter and when that's about ready plop the meat you want direct on the lower grate.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Tried to order online but got a notice, they are unable to process my request. Something about shipping address provided by the merchant is invalid. Oh well.
  • CGW1
    @ Costal_Egger, not sure what's up with that message. Try again or call me toll free.
  • CGW1 thanks for the response. I was able to place my order over my phone. I am looking forward to using your products and posting pictures.
  • The YouTube videos were helpful to watch how the swing rack works. Well done.
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Dan4BBQ.  Any luck with your direct/indirect issue?

Dan
    imageimageimage
    there must be an easier way.  I also have the woo 3.any suggestions???
    Thanks
    Dan

• JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    When you use the placesetter and the swing rack, do you need to shorten  the height of the shaft with the shaft kit  or is there enough clearance in the dome of the large?
  • timekpr1
    edited August 2012
    there must be an easier way.  I also have the woo 3.any suggestions???

I do not know of one.  Perhaps it is an accessory that CGW should look into producing.  A deflector that could also be a drip pan to provide indirect heat to the top rack while still using the bottom rack as a direct heat source.  I think it would be easy enough (since I would not have to do it) to design.
  • Are the swing racks for the LGBE in stock.  I placed an order on 7 August, and still have not seen anything other than the original acknowledgement from the wordpress confirmation e-mail.
  • timekpr1
    edited August 2012
    Are the swing racks for the LGBE in stock.  I placed an order on 7 August, and still have not seen anything other than the original acknowledgement from the wordpress confirmation e-mail.
    Now there is the rub :@) (OK bad pun).  I think this thread has made them so popular he is having trouble keeping them in stock.  A problem I am sure most vendors would like to have.
  • I have to agree with timekpr1. This thread is the reason why I bought their swing rack.