Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try pork butt

MacKay52
MacKay52 Posts: 74
edited August 2012 in Pork
9.5 lb. bone-in coated it in mustard and Dizzy Dust. Using some storm damaged (free!) apple for smoke. Just got the temp up to 200° the smoke is starting to billow out. Time for a cocktail. Any tips?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

For some reason, of late I am unable to post forum links, that said the below thread is active today (8/11)  and contains about all you will need to know-after that, if you have any ??, fire away-

1st butt - 15 lbs rubbed with Bad Byron's butt rub and salt free dizzy dust (pics included)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MacKay52
    I have been nervously checking every 2.5 - 3 hours.
    •10 pm -dome temp was holding steady at 225°
    •12:30am - dome temp had risen to 250° I adjusted dw and bottom vent slightly
    •2:30am -dome temp had dropped to 150° - took my first meat temp with Thermapen (171°) readjusted both the dw & bottom vent
    •2:45 -dome temp had returned to 200° - this time I only adjusted the dw. Hope it holds.

My porch smells fantastic, thankfully I don't seem to have attracted any nearby bruins.
  • MacKay52
    •3:15 am - dome temp still holding at 200° - headed back to bed
  • MacKay52
    •7:15 am - Thermapen reads 197°

Throwing it in crock pot on warm.
    Having it and a couple beers for lunch with my friends that are helping me tile my bathroom shower.
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Looks good!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    At what time did you put it on the egg?

@ MacKay52-for future reference, another way to keep big hunks of meat warm/hot til ready to pull or slice is to foil, wrap in towels and stick in a cooler (FTC for short).  Can easily go 4-6 hours.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MacKay52
    I threw it on the egg about 8 pm. We were tiling my bathroom so I wanted to make sure it was done ahead of time.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Congrats, keeping an eye on the temps can get tedious but sometimes u have to just trust it. Curious as to why u had such a huge drop off at one point, unless u made a significant adjustment.
    I think when it was @ 250 u could have left it trusting grid temp was lower, but its really preference on how u want to do it.
    Seattle, WA
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

I did my first butt this weekend as well.  two boneless butts, a total of 15.5 lbs.  I started at 5:00 am at a grid temp of 275*  I pulled them off at 203* at approximately 3:15 pm.  FTC'd to hold for dinner, and it was awesome.  I had a hiccup first thing.....pulled my new pid controller out of the box for it's first use, and it had no power.  So, i started the cook without it.  About an hour later, it decided to come on and work.  I will say, it is a nice thing to have.  (i hope it continues to work)

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

i will try to post pics later when i get home from work :)

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• MacKay52
    I think I just over adjusted.