Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at Thighs

Titanman
Titanman Posts: 30
edited August 2012 in Poultry
Tonight was my first attempt at thighs. Cooked direct at around 400 and they turned out great. 

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    looks good i do mine at 400 raised direct and toss some spuds on with them . Chicken and everything else turns out great on the egg 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    My favorite part of the chicken. 
    FWIW, I also go raised direct. & phils righht, you have some empty space there to fill. ;)

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Thighs are always a good choice. How did you season them? I like doing a half a chicken, I get the leg, thigh, and wing, and the wife gets the breast.
  • Titanman
    @brownie I used dizzy dust then put sauce on before I pulled them. They turned out great. @tazcrash yeh your right I have empty space. I was just trying the thighs for the first time plus my wife had to work over tonight so I
  • Titanman
    @bigphil In just the little time that I have had my egg I have found out that just about anyway that you do chicken it will turn out great.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Here is a spicy marinade I like for chicken thighs. Place chicken thighs in a gallon plastic bag with 2/3 cup KC Masterpiece Jerk BBQ Marinade, 1/3 cup tiger sauce, and 4 teaspsoons of sugar for 10 to 24 hours and then grill at 350 degrees indirect or raised grid until you reach temp flipping every 5 minutes and basting with the marinade.  You can substitute 2 packages of splenda if you can't do sugar.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Titanman
    @dlk7 sounds like a good marinade. I will have to try that next time.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I love dizzy dust. Chicken doesn't always need a sauce if you have some dizzy dust imo.
    @dlk7 thanks for sharing.
  • I love to marinate in mojo for a few hours then sprinkle with Shakin the Tree...OUTSTANDING!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • I'm a new egg person.

I'm doing marinated boneless, skinless thighs. Should they also cook at 400 degrees?

Spin-off question: is there a list of approximate times and temps for a variety of meats, vegeables, etc. Seems like lifting the lid too early is going to let too much heat escape and too late - well, you know.

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    The ceramic holds heat so the temp will rebound quite quickly even if you are basting often.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    edited August 2012

I'm a new egg person.

I'm doing marinated boneless, skinless thighs. Should they also cook at 400 degrees?

Spin-off question: is there a list of approximate times and temps for a variety of meats, vegeables, etc. Seems like lifting the lid too early is going to let too much heat escape and too late - well, you know.

Search around and there are lots of approximate thumb-rules for general guidance WRT temps (usuallly dome unless otherwise mentioned) and times.  But the bottom-line is to "cook to finish temp" and that's not unique to the BGE.  Many cooks finish by feel, especially high temp cook veggies.  My preferred "feel gauge" for veggies is the toothpick to judge tenderness but others will be along with different perspectives-and that's the beauty of it-many different ways to get the desired finished result.  Welcome and ask away-many here more than willing to help with any cook, even if we have no clue what we are talking about-just kidding.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.