Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First smoked lasagna

bigphil
bigphil Posts: 1,390
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Tonights dinner smoked lasagna, garlic bread and garden side salad .Turned out really good will be doing this again .Wife said the egg cooked it better than the oven could 
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Looks great phil.
    I have a recipe for a mushroom lasagna with a white (bechamel) sauce. With a tiny hit of oak after baking on the egg, it will make your eyes roll back in your head

Lasagna is great on the egg. Thanks for the reminder
    Makes it just a little 'rustico'.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bigphil
    @stike thanks mind sharing your recipe and @Mighty_Quinn thanks also 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • stike
    Bigphil

When i'm back at my 'puter i will look it up for you. I'm thumbing my phone at the moment

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

bigphil-

what temp did you cook at???  i'm in on this deal....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• YUM! mind sharing?
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • bigphil
    @pasoegg 375 grid temp about 400 on the dome raised indirect 

@stike Thanks 
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Really looks tasty! Nice job. I love bread thats been toasted on the egg too!
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    how long was the lasagna on the egg?
  • bigphil
    @alynd roughly about a hour and 15 mins 
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    I've never made lasagna before but I think I want to try this on the egg.  Would you be willing to share your recipe or is it top secret?
  • bigphil
    @alynd between Saturday and Sunday i'll type it up and post . should have taken pics of putting it together didn't think of that 
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    I've never made lasagna before but I think I want to try this on the egg.  Would you be willing to share your recipe or is it top secret?

i would be interested in the recipe as well......the whole meal looks like the BOMB!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• stike said:

Looks great phil.
    I have a recipe for a mushroom
    lasagna with a white (bechamel) sauce. With a tiny hit of oak after baking on the egg, it will make your eyes roll back in your head

Lasagna is great on the egg. Thanks for the reminder
    Makes it just a little 'rustico'.

Do you mind sharing that recipe???
  • bigphil
    edited August 2012
    as promised here's the recipe 

Ingredients 
    1-box of Lasagna noodles
    2-pounds ground beef or the meat of your choice 
    2-packs Mc corrmicks spaghetti mix
    29-0z can of tomatoe sauce 
    20-oz mozzarella cheese
    32-oz ricotta cheese 
    1/2 cup parmesan/Romano cheese
    2 eggs
    24-oz jar tuttorosso sauce tomato and basil or what ever like

Preparation
    cook noodles
    cook meat and drain mix in 2packs Mc corrmicks spaghetti mix and 29oz can of tomato sauce and set aside 
    mix all cheeses together and the eggs set aside (before adding the eggs you can low smoke the cheese at 200 for 10/20 mins )
     in a 9x13 pan pour a bit of sauce in then start layering the bottom with noodles then drop about golf ball sizes of cheese in (no pics sorry) but drop the cheese like this on the noodles 

you get the idea 

put another layer of noodles in then meat mixture keep alternating cheese layers and meat layers till  the pan is full 
    once thats done take the jar of sauce and pour on top the of the noodles then top with mozzarella cheese 

The cook 
    375 grid temp
    raised indirect place setter legs up grid on top 
    cover the pan with aluminum foil cook 35/45 mins covered 
    then remove foil and cook another 15 mins or till golden brown and the mozzarella on top has melted .
    i used cherry wood in the lump 

• stike
    here's the recipe for the mushroom lasagna. i probably double the mushrooms, and have even doubled the sauce.  i like a lot of both.

Mushroom Lasagna

by Ina Gartner, Food Network

Ingredients

• Kosher Salt
    • Good olive oil

• 3/4 pound dried lasagna noodles

• 4 cups whole milk

• 12 tablespoons (11/2 sticks) unsalted butter, divided

• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

• 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg 

• 1 1/2 pounds portobello mushrooms

• 1 cup freshly ground Paremesan 

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil with 1 tablespoon salt and a splash of oil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and set aside.

For the white sauce, bring the milk to a simmer in a saucepan. Set aside. Melt8 tablespoons (1 stick) of the butter in a large saucepan. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Pour the hot milk into the butter-flour mixture all at once. Add 1 tablespoon salt, the pepper, and nutmeg, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring first with the wooden spoon and then with a whisk, for 3 to 5 minutes, until thick. Set aside off the heat.

Separate the mushroom stems from the caps and discard the stems. Slice the caps 1/4-inch thick. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large (12-inch) saute pan. When the butter melts, add half the mushrooms, sprinkle with salt, and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and they release some of their juices. If they become too dry, add a little more oil. Toss occasionally to make sure the mushrooms cook evenly. Repeat with the remaining mushrooms and set all the mushrooms aside.

To assemble the lasagna, spread some of the sauce in the bottom of an 8 by 12 by 2-inch baking dish. Arrange a layer of noodles on top, then more sauce, then 1/3 of the mushrooms, and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan. Repeat 2 more times, layering noodles, sauce, mushrooms, and Parmesan. Top with a final layer of noodles  and sauce, and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.

Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is browned the sauce is bubbly and hot. Allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes and serve hot.

• bigphil
    @stike Thanks!!!
  • stike
    thank Ina Garten.
    hahaha

(you're welcome) .  thanks for the original post as a reminder