Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Booshway Ribs

Booshway
Booshway Posts: 10
edited August 2012 in Pork

I smoked a rack of ribs yesterday and they were tremendous.  Thought I would share a technique that had great results.  Laid the ribs out for a few hours to get them up to room temperature and pulled as much of the white membrane off that I could and applied the rub:  Rub is my homemade version of brown sugar, garlic powder, ground sea salt and peppercorn, cumen, Old Bay seasoning, onion powder and Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning.  Brought the Large BGE up to about 400 degrees and dropped in some soaked mesquite chunks.  Inverted the plate setter with the legs up placed a drip pan on it with 1 cup each of apple cidar vinegar, apple juice and water in it.  Placed the rack of ribs on the wire rack at 11:00 AM and brought the temp down to 250.  After about 30 minutes to be sure temp was stabalized, I left and played 18 holes of golf.  Got home around 5:00 and they were looking good with an internal temp of 175.  Applied our special bar-b-q sauce (Head Country sauce, a few tbsp of Gentleman Jack Bourbon, garlic powder and brown sugar).  Brought the dome temp up to about 350 and finished bringing the internal temp to 190.  Took them off and let them set for about 30 minutes and we had the best rack of ribs that we have ever had.  All the credit goes to the Egg!!  

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    mouth.  watering.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    ribs look great. and you can't beat having your own home made rub.

fwiw, no need to wait for ribs to get to room temp.  it's not a roast or steak (where you want even heating in a short cook), so you can fire away.  cold meat will give you the added bonus of a purty smoke ring, too, if yer into that sorta thing. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Booshway

Thanks for the info stike.  I know we are convinced at the quality of using the BGE.  Only had it for less than a month.  Chicken was only failure.  I think it was way under cooked.  Extremely tough.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    how'd you cook the chicken?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Booshway
    The chicken was about 6 lbs.  I put a rub on it and cooked it indirect at 250 spatchcocked (sp?) until it reached the internal.  I used (don't remember, but it was one I found on here)  About 3 - 4 hrs.  It was nice and brown but was tough!  My wife ended up putting it in a crock pot the next day and finally got it tender.  Any help would be appreciated