Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT's

Options
ben4unc
ben4unc Posts: 14
edited July 2012 in Appetizers

Finally did my first ABT's......dont know why I waiting so long.  These things are AWESOME!!!  Used little smokeys and dizzy pig rub along with cream cheese and BACON.

Comments

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
  • pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    Options
    Abts are one of my favorites. Did you blend the smokies into the cream cheese or leave as a links?
  • ben4unc
    ben4unc Posts: 14
    Options

pswarren - I left as links.  I am amazed at how easy this was and how great they are!  This is now my go to appetizer!

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options

How exactly do you put these together?  Do you cut the peppers in half or cut the top and core out the seeds?  If you halve them does that mean that you cannot flip them because the filling will fall out?  Filling?  I would like to try them.  I have a party to go to this weekend.  Seems like I can make them the take them over and reheat there.

George

George
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    You can do either way. Either sideways or cored out. I have a holder that I use to cook mine so I core mine out and do them upright. If you do whole and upright, one hint is to poke a hole n the bottom before you cook so the liquid does not build up and push the filling out. As for the filling, mine is very basic. Cream cheese, chopped garlic, lime juice and cihopped cilantro. They are not as good reheated but still damn tasty.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

How exactly do you put these together?  Do you cut the peppers in half or cut the top and core out the seeds?  If you halve them does that mean that you cannot flip them because the filling will fall out?  Filling?  I would like to try them.  I have a party to go to this weekend.  Seems like I can make them the take them over and reheat there.

George

You really don't need to flip them.  I cut the peppers length wise, take out the seed but leave part of the rib so they are spicy.  I fill them with a mixture of hot italian sausage, smoked gouda cheese, cream cheese all blended together.  Then I wrap them in maple flavored bacon.  Grilled indirect at 350 degrees until the bacon is nice and crispy.  I precook the hot italian sausage before blending with the other ingredients.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• rolltidesmoker
    Options
    I also sprinkle my homemade rub that I use for butts on there.  Awesome!!
    Suwanee Georgia - suburb north of Atlanta