Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts on their side?

hrchdog
hrchdog Posts: 40
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Need to cook eight pork butts to feed local high school football team, been doing it for the last six years. Want to use my new xl egg instead of the stumps clone. Can't seem to locate a swing rack for the xl, was wondering if anybody had tried putting the butts on their side so more could be put on the grate?
Herrin,IL.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Here is info galore for a swing rack http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1140902/swing-rack/p1

Also check out the adjustable rig. Both are winners.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • hrchdog
    hrchdog Posts: 40
    edited August 2012
    Yah i've read that thread even posted in it but it seems as though he is out of them for the xl right now. So looking for another alternative and wondered about putting them on their side.
    Herrin,IL.
  • travisstrick
    Side is fine.

Have you thought about getting a second grate and raising it with pieces of brick? That's what I do and it works great.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2012
    I can't imagine it would cause a problem to cook butts on their side.  People often argue about "fat side up/fat side down", so this would just be a compromise ;).  I would think this would be more like fat side down since the fat might drip off.  

I think for 8 you are going to need 2 levels of cooking.  I recall one post where someone simply used a spare rack with no legs and laid the rack on the first level of butts with some balls of foil to help space them.  

Here we go...check out the last pic

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited August 2012
    I bought some extra Weber grates from Home Despot for around $10/each.  Bricks were about a dollar a piece.  I use three of them.

@nola......dumb question, I was gonna order a grid online but I'm not at home to look for myself. What size grate do I need to order to get it raised like your set-up. (have a large egg BTW)
    I'm not at la casa, but I want to say it was 13 or 14"
    go get a weber 18" grate and some stainless rod, cut the pieces about 6 inches long, nut and bolt to the weber grid, nut and washer so you can put it onto the BGE grid
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    I can't imagine it would cause a problem to cook butts on their side.  People often argue about "fat side up/fat side down", so this would just be a compromise ;).  I would think this would be more like fat side down since the fat might drip off.  

I think for 8 you are going to need 2 levels of cooking.  I recall one post where someone simply used a spare rack with no legs and laid the rack on the first level of butts with some balls of foil to help space them.  

Here we go...check out the last pic
    Was looking at this old posting but am confused about what to do with the balls of foil. Didn't see them in the pic. Do you just put them on the first layer of butt to get some clearance?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • For my XL I use a 22 1/2 " weber grill
    LET'S EAT
  • nolaegghead
    I have a few 18" weber grates for a cold smoker project I'm working on.  I'll see how high up in the dome I can get it.  Maybe not enough to squeeze butts under.  Anyway, can't do anything about it until I get home.
    just get them in the egg, doesnt matter fat up, no fat, fat down, touching, not touching, etc.. ive even seen pics with them stacked but that is something i might not do
    :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I can get 4 seven pounders on the first level of my XL but would have to stand 2 of the top 4 on their side on my adjustable rig for the top layer.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2012
    Was looking at this old posting but am confused about what to do with the balls of foil. Didn't see them in the pic. Do you just put them on the first layer of butt to get some clearance?
    That's what I'm thinking.  After you lay down the first layer of butts, use a few foil balls at the "peaks" in 3 or 4 places and then set the second rack on top of the foil balls. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you can just stack them. place the grid right on the butts, and then more butts.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • travisstrick
    The only thing better than big butts is more butts. Well..... Maybe butts stacked on top of butts is better, I'll have to get back to you. 
  • nolaegghead
    Eat a balanced meal.  FDA food triangle indicates a more balance approach.  Butts, then breasts, then maybe a thigh on top.