Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Damn you meat eaters!!

bvanma28
bvanma28 Posts: 57
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well it funnily happened. The price of amost all meat right now has just about doubled where I live. It is so out of control that this could b the first month I eat nothing but chicken. And I blame all of you for eating too much beef.
Oh well I guess I will b able to save on coal this month since I won't b doing any long cooks with chicken.

Comments

• ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Demand isn't the problem. Supply is drastically reduced due to prolonged drought in much of the country.

Tim
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    It's going to get considerably worse before it gets better.
    XL BGE
  • bvanma28
    I know. I was just spoiled
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Time to move to Mars-we have a car up there-will take you whereever you want to go!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Maybe take a look at the local farmers and purchase a 1/2 beef. I just purchased a 1/2 about 2-3 months ago and averaged 2.25lb. The processor even had the meat in vacuumed packed bags and marked each package.
  • bvanma28
    It's only a $1000 right now for half a cow. I might go that route.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990

beef is on sale right now in michigan, supposedly because they are selling off before the price goes up because of draught.  I know it doesn;t make sense to me either.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Prices are down here for beef. That just means that next year will be expensive with the ranchers selling off whole herds. Some recession we are in, everything costs more, except my mortage and my wages...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Temperatures have been setting records both high and low all over the globe.  END OF DAYZ!
    End of days, there will still be days, they will just be less comfortable.
  • nolaegghead
    "It sho' is uncomfortable eatin' this $12/lb chicken in mah livin' room in 4 feet of water, but at least mah pappy in Appalachia finally got that beach front property he been wantin'"
    I heard BBQ pigeon in the superdome was off the chain! Brackish bayou water makes an excellent marinade. When the big shaker comes, I will be a comfy as a pig in .... here with my spatchcocked racoon and a shotgun.
  • nolaegghead
    Well, I got a nice little compound here.  We're in the highest land in New Orleans (proven by one of the earliest established dates - pre-levy times),  gotz me a standby generator that runs the whole house.  Backup generator to the standby generator.  Pantry stuffed to the gills cause we love to cook (just this year starting on the egg).  Guns for the zombie apocalypse (actually, I don't really know why we ended up with so many guns, but it's not because we're afraid of being under seige).  A nice high roof to crawl on if we got a 40' storm surge.  Ham radio.  Pack of killer attack cats for any rodent combatants. Lawyers next door in case anything goes wrong.
    :))
    I was visiting a farm a few weeks ago, before there was any relief from the drought around here. I noticed that they had a lot less produce available than usual. Asked how things were going. Their primary product is organic beef, so good pastures are a necessity. She said that they usually got 100 bales of hay from their best field, but this year, it was 40. They were getting lots of calls from other farmers, and she said they had none to spare.

Not going to be good.