Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork loin smells like rotten eggs, is it bad?

michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
The wife bought a huge pork loin (boneless) a week or so ago. It says sell by 8-6-12, yea I know I took too long to cook it. Either way, I just opened it and it smells like rotten eggs. Is this ok to cook still? I am ready to throw it away. Thanks

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Stike would probably be the man to ask
    Boom
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited August 2012
    I know, just figured he would chime in. He will say it is ok, but man this thing reminds me of those fart bombs in the glass tubes we got in junior high and smashed in the hallway and sat back and laughed lol.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Haha yeah I do imagine if cooked to proper temp there would be no issue
    Boom
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    If it were me,  I would make a brining solution with a nice flavor and brine for 6-12 hours.  See if the smell goes away.  It is within date so should be OK.
  • I have a 600 degree egg with cast iron grates ready to go. Now what lol. Sans club said they will credit us no problem. I have to find something to cook now or try this stinky meat.

• Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    if you question whether something is good or not it probably isnt.. i would throw it out.
  • @Kristinnn

My thoughts exactly.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's normal for cryopacked pork to smell like sulfur (rotten eggs).  The smell should dissipate quickly. 
    I say cook it
    Boom
  • Past the sell by date it scared me though.

• chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    edited August 2012
    Totally normal. Cryopacked pork always gives you a sulfer-y rotten egg smell when you open the package. Don't give it a second thought.

edit: nola beat me to it. He's exactly right.
    XL BGE
  • Its already in the garbage.

• chuff
    Well that's a shame. The next one you buy is going to smell exactly the same if you buy it in a cryo. Rotten pork does not smell like rotten eggs, but cryopacked pork does.
    XL BGE
  • Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    i cooked some ribs in a plastic shell from costco and didnt notice a weird smell
  • chuff
    Sometimes it's very faint and you have to get your nose right down in there to smell it, but with a big hunk of meat like a whole loin or a large cryo with two whole pork butts it can sometimes hit you like a freight train. At a lot of shops the meat dept workers will actually warn you about it to minimize things coming back because people think they're spoiled.
    XL BGE
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    if it is in cryovac, it is the cryo.  sulfur smell is common.  rinse it, air it out and see it it clears.

there's actually a study done on a new chemical coating inside the bags which is beingdeveloped that is supposed to neutralize or absorb the sulfur compounds, so that people don't have this 'experience'.  seems sure, the cryo allows extended shelf time, but people are returning it in large numbers because they are convinced it's gone bad.

just fyi.  a date on a package means it is still in PEAK condition at that point.  they're not saying food goes bad on the sell by date, they're saying it's in the BEST condition, and will gradually go down in quality after that.  and it's not that it becomes unsafe.  just lesser quality (by the seller's definition)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    jason....

please read that part about the sell by date.

if you buy a roast on the say it is supposed to be 'sold by', that means it's actually in PERFECT (peak) condition on that date, not at the end of its quality-life.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Its already in the garbage.
    Sorry to hear it. 
    I did the same thing once. Everything I read after the fact would make me rinse, and air out in the future.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • @stike

It is sitting in a bag right now next to the garbage. Should I cook it?

• I understand you stike, I will cook it along with the chicken I just purchased and update.

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Rinse and egg that puppy!
  • chuff
    Well? Did you cook it? How did it turn out?
    XL BGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Its already in the garbage.
    didnt
    I understand you stike, I will cook it along with the chicken I just purchased and update.
    Says he changed his mind.
    XL BGE
  • If the odor gives you pause, take it directly to the dumpster!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited August 2012
    Boy, i hope he's ok. :(

;)

Seriously,
    @michigan_jason: and??????? I've seen you post. :D
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Well, It was in a bag next to the garbage. Then I read a little more and brought it in. The wife and my mom rinsed it (had parents over for dinner.) I was unable to rinse it myself due to the smell causing me to vomit. It sat after being rinsed for 15mins and still smelled horrible. Seeing as how sams club said we could get our money back without returning it, it went into the trash. I could not bring myself to eat that knowing how rancid it smelled. Ended up just putting chicken breast on and calling it a day. Thanks for the help guys.

• chuff
    If the odor gives you pause, take it directly to the dumpster!
    Please read the whole thread. The odor he described is common and expected with crypacked pork.
    XL BGE
  • If that odor is normal, I will never buy a whole boneless tenderloin again, it was something I have never smelled in any food out of any packaging.

• chuff
    BTW, high desert egg head are you in Bend by any chance? 
    XL BGE