Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New stone table in progress, with a pic

Beefer
Beefer Posts: 41
edited August 2012 in EGG Table Forum

I can't claim credit for doing the work.  The stone mason doing the work on the house (new build) is doing the table, and the fireplace beside it.  I'm just hoping I didn't mess up the design.  The stone is going to continue up along the fireplace, which will leave me about 5" between the stone of the fireplace and the egg's hole.  Based on my current set up this should be just enough room for the lid to open at the angle I like.  If it's too tight i'll just centre the handle more.  Going to put a couple of wood drawers in the top right quadrant I think.  Might store firewood in the bottom, I've got a space over on the right that is covered where I can keep my egg stuff, including lump.  I'm going to sit the egg on some 1" pieces of firebrick which will be glued with heat resistant glue to the stone.  Doing this to hopefully avoid any heat transfer issues, although that's probably overkill but can't hurt. 

Hole is 21", so my large should fit without touching.  Took the mason a few hours just to do the hole.  No one at the quarry would touch it, they figured they would break the piece.  Once the fireplace is done I'll bring my egg over and cook some stuff up for the guys for Friday happy hours.  None of the guys working on the house understand what's going in the whole, they are mostly Polish or Slovak and haven't been indoctrinated to the Egg yet.

Comments

• That looks great. Can't wait to see the end product!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

Nothing wrong with a Polish buider. I speak the truth for I am both.Well 2nd generation heritage in Michigan.

By the way. Any ideas on how to do a concrete top? How wide at the narrow sides( so it don't crack) and what type of reinforcement? Also how thick?

Have a great cook this evening! Go Detroit Tigers tonight !

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Beefer
    Beefer Posts: 41
    Sorry GK59, can't help you with the concrete.  Mine is about 8 inches at the narrowest edge.  3" thick natural stone.  They lifted it up there with a bobcat, too heavy for 6 guys to lift.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited August 2012

That's one serious tabletop.  Can't wait to see the finished product.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    GK59 said:

Nothing wrong with a Polish buider. I speak the truth for I am both.Well 2nd generation heritage in Michigan.

By the way. Any ideas on how to do a concrete top? How wide at the narrow sides( so it don't crack) and what type of reinforcement? Also how thick?

Have a great cook this evening! Go Detroit Tigers tonight !

My concrete top has about 2" between the edge and the hole. My buddy makes them. He uses fibers in the cement instead of rebar. Very strong. No worries about it cracking. Concrete is a great choice. No maintenance and very durable.

Mark Annville, PA