Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table recommendations please

3MBBQ
3MBBQ Posts: 26
edited June 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I am, again, in search of a table option for my BGE. 
I have considered wood, stainless and powder coated aluminum. I really like the idea of metal in terms of maintenance/durability but have a south facing deck and am concerned about the HEAT factor in summer months. 
I've looked at some pre-fabricated outdoor kitchen stuff like this:http://www.biggreeneggcabinet.com/biggreeneggcart.html but it's VERY pricey and I've not seen a single review from a BGE user.
Would love to hear specific recommendations as well as pros/cons re: wood vs. metal vs. prefab stuff. Would especially be interested in hearing from anyone who decided on Stainless steel and/or aluminum.

Comments

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243

I have one of these.    Large Cart Powder Coated I absolutely love it.

http://challengercabinets.com/LGrillCarts.html

It was about the same price as the one you posted but from what I can tell a lot more storage.  I like the easy clean up and space.     Next summer I will be getting a second egg and may pre-make a table.      If I do that I will probobly use wood and a granite counter top.     The quality on the challenger in my opinion is second to none.     Gaskets on all the doors so water does not get in.      With wood cabinet doors can be a hastle but it is easy to repair if you ever have a problem.        

Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • What's with everyone suggesting the granite counter top?
  • spotco2
    spotco2 Posts: 61
    I cheated and use a stainless and powdercoated tool box with a wood top.

Plenty of storage space for adjustable rig, plate setter, stones, cast irons, lump, tools, etc and the 70" top is great for prep and serving.

I did treat the top with a few extra coats of Spar urethane and have a cover being made to match the egg cover.

Box was $400 at Sams and cover was an extra $250.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Have you considered a more permanent and maintenance free solution?
    After one year, my **** wood table was junk, so I adjusted with this all brick and concrete model built completely from stuff I could get from my local home improvement store (Menards).

Packerland, Wisconsin

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894

Plenty of storage space for adjustable rig, plate setter, stones, cast irons, lump, tools, etc and the 70" top is great for prep and serving.

I did treat the top with a few extra coats of Spar urethane and have a cover being made to match the egg cover.

This might work for me, how it going for ya?
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760

This might work for me, how it going for ya?

Spotco, this looks like a good set up for keeping eggcessories. I didn't see any at Sam's Club online. Did you see it at the local store? Would you have a link to it that you can post?

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited July 2012
    I just did SAMs club and searched, here it is. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/search/searchResults.jsp?searchCategoryId=all&searchTerm=Tool+box&fromHome=yes&_requestid=233619 Not quite the same. Maybe do online search of company brand name.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760

I found it just now. Here's the link to anyone interested to explore this:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1480010#desc

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• My only worry would be how that box would hold up in our Louisiana humidity. I have found most of those boxes to be stainless on the face only and have many ferrous parts inside that would be subject to rust. Great option for the drier climes though especially if clearcoated and made a little more waterproof. I know I eye that cabinet every time I am at Sams for my tool room!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you could keep it from getting continually rained on, I think you could get 10 years out of it.  We have that same Sam's club stuff everywhere in the lab I work at, and it holds up really well in the corrosive environment.  If you have an awning or some shelter to roll it under, or a cover, I think that would work in Louisiana. 

Oh yeah, Geaux LSU!
  • Phoned in my order for this today.  I've been egging with the nest since I got my large 2 or 3 months ago because I couldn't decide what to do, build or buy.  I don't think I'll go wrong with stainless steel.  I got the source from others on the forum.

http://www.castlestove.com/

Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    I have the same table.  Living in Orlando with the heat is not a problem.

I just love the table.---and the EGG.

Dan

I got this from Tim and it's awesome.

Dan

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    edited August 2012

Phoned in my order for this today.  I've been egging with the nest since I got my large 2 or 3 months ago because I couldn't decide what to do, build or buy.  I don't think I'll go wrong with stainless steel.  I got the source from others on the forum.

http://www.castlestove.com/

Can't find it on the website.

• Tim"s #: 217-653-0654
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I'm going permanent no maintenance
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Lynnwood WA