Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Juiciest Chicken EVER!

tortaboy
tortaboy Posts: 29
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Fark Brining...
Fark lots of prep...
Fark Spatchcock...

Just made the easiest and juiciest smoked chicken I've ever made.

Olive oil
Soy Sauce
Ground Pepper (And any other spice you like)

Slather on skin

Put chicken on BGE at 300 for 3.5 hours.
Catch up on ME time playing on the net.

DONE!

Crispy skin outside, cannot get more moist inside.

Next time I'm doing 8 chickens just cause their so dang easy.

If you are looking for the easiest way to do pulled chicken that is smoked...this is it!
1.JPG 874.2K
2.JPG 798.6K
3.JPG 751.6K

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Chicken is one of the proofs that the BGE is different.  Looks really good.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Nice. I may have to give this a try.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • Your are right on point....too many people over think the process
  • Looks great, did you do them raised direct or indirect? Drip pan?
  • tortaboy

Just did them indirect on the grate using the placesetter.

No drip pan...although my placesetter continues to accumulate grease. :)

Frankly, for this many birds, I'm kidding myself with using a drip pan unless I get one

22"-24" across.

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990

i never use a drip pan, but i do cover the platesetter in foil, kind of a homemade tray, and throw it away.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• tortaboy

i never use a drip pan, but i do cover the platesetter in foil, kind of a homemade tray, and throw it away.

I'm too lazy.  It will burn off on my first hot cook.  Haven't had any complaints about the food.
    :-j
  • My drip pan is a pizza pan covered with foil.....after the cook, just throw away the foil and start again
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Wrapping the platesetter in foil is easy and works great for chicken. Just don't try it when doing a butt. Trust me.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • I do it with butts and brisket all the time......no problem or me
  • tortaboy

ThailandJohn,

I've always wondered....what would happen if you tried an indirect cook with only your pizza pan?

No placesetter.  No Pizza Stone.

After all, all we are trying to do is separate the flames from the food.

Have we all been sold a bill of goods that we need a huge thermal mass (Placesetter or thick pizza stone) to cook indirect?

Just curious.

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    3.5 hrs SEEMS like a long time, though I used to do that on the old Brinkman but only with leg quarters. Curious if you took internal temperatures at all? Or this was just a time thing. The primary thing I've learned on the BGE site, besides how to use the BGE, is to cook to internal temp.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061

I do it with butts and brisket all the time......no problem or me

It works but I inject my butts. They leaked so much juice that it came out through the lower vent and all over the.patio.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • tortaboy
    3.5 hrs SEEMS like a long time, though I used to do that on the old Brinkman but only with leg quarters. Curious if you took internal temperatures at all? Or this was just a time thing. The primary thing I've learned on the BGE site, besides how to use the BGE, is to cook to internal temp.

It is a REALLY long time.  That was what was freaky about it.

Temp was appx. 200 degrees in the thighs.  But because the chicken was kept whole, it just kept roasting, not drying.  My wife pulled the meat off the remaining three chickens today....the bones slid right out....just like a pork butt.

• tortaboy
    I do it with butts and brisket all the time......no problem or me
    It works but I inject my butts. They leaked so much juice that it came out through the lower vent and all over the.patio.

Not sure what you are referring to?  Using a pizza pan instead of a placesetter?
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    edited August 2012
    I put a foil covered covered pan on the platesetter
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

I've always wondered....what would happen if you tried an indirect cook with only your pizza pan?

You are correct-all you need is a heat deflector and some air gap between the deflector and cooking grid. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669

ThailandJohn,

Have we all been sold a bill of goods that we need a huge thermal mass (Placesetter or thick pizza stone) to cook indirect?

Just curious.

you dont need the extra thermal mass for low and slow or for roasting, it does help for higher temp pizza and higher temp breadmaking so for most cooks a simple pan works just as well as an inderect setup
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    foil works.  you are creating shade.  thermal mass has a benefit for other types of cooks as fishless said, but you really only need to create shade: block the direct radiant heat from the lump. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116

ThailandJohn,

Just curious.

All i use is a stainless steel drip pan from Ceramic Grill Store. I wrap it in foil each time, but i haven't used a plate setter in a couple yrs.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990

i cooked a whole chicken yesterday. plate setter indirect, olive oil sprayed on (aerosol can) with raging river dusted on outside and inside. cooked about 90 minutes at 350 . well until internal was 145 throughout.   it came out great. 

Family loved it.  Daughter is headed off to dorm food in a couple weeks and said she is going to miss my chicken the most.  Dorm food is overcooked and dry. and the wife said it was worth waiting for

Best compiment ever!

I love my egg.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    edited August 2012
    My drip pan is a pizza pan covered with foil.....after the cook, just throw away the foil and start again

+1
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    Mine is an 18" wide square of heavy duty foil. Crimp the edges while turning it and forming it into a circle. Toss in trash when cool
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante