Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Planked Salmon - Tom Douglass Rub

Hillbilly-Hightech
Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
edited August 2012 in Seafood
OK, so the family just got back from a Pacific Northwest road trip (Oregon, Washington, Vancouver, and Whistler).  

While in Seattle, we went to one of Tom Douglass' restaurants called the "Rub with Love Shack" - a nice, casual sammich place next to the Fish Market area.  

Anyway, he also sells his rubs there, and so we decided to pick up some of the more obscure ones that we can't get locally.  

When we got home, decided to try some out, so did some salmon.  Since this was a big salmon, decided to split it into 2 & do half w/ his standard Salmon rub, and half w/ his Tokyo Spice Rub.  

The GF liked the Tokyo spice one better, and I liked them both about equally well.  

Details below.  ENJOY!!

METHOD: Indirect (Cedar Plank)
EGG: 350 Dome
MEAT:  135
RUB:  Tom Douglas Rub w/ Love - Salmon Rub & Spicy Tokyo Rub
Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks good!  I like to use Japanese 7 spice (shichimi) on salmon now and then...

Buy your planks on a Woot! off?

Buy your planks on a Woot! off?
    Thanks - it was good!! 

hehehehe... and yeah, I did the plank Woot Off :D
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • nolaegghead
    Gotta love the cheap crap at woot!  (am I supposed to use two exclamation points?!)

I bought the cedar wraps from them.  I have a ton of cedar boards in the back yard.  Wraps sounded different.

http://www.woot.com/blog/post/truefire-gourmet-cedar-wraps-24-pack

Cedar wraps - very interesting!   Have you used them?  How do you like them?  how do they differe / compare to the planks?  Better / worse / same? 

• nolaegghead
    edited August 2012
    Novel idea, but not much wood to burn for the cedar flavor, which is ok because excess cedar smoke can be overpowering.  Mostly what I find they're good for is being a "baking pan" that lets me prep, cook and serve, and add a little zing to the presentation.  Purely convenience and aesthetics.  Easy to throw some cedar chips in the fire and cook indirect.   Cedar plank it is not.
    They were dirt cheap, like most stuff on woot...I think I have a lifetime supply.... (and a lifetime supply of screaming monkeys!)