Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Humphrey Charcoal in Harrisburg, PA

cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have 6 bags of Humphrey left from the bulk buy I made in the spring. I plan on ordering more in late August or early September. If you live in the Harrisburg or Lancaster area are you interested in a bulk buy? I ordered one pallet and split it with 2 other eggers. I'm thinking that if there is enough interest we may be able to get an even better price. This stuff is great! It is about the same price as Royal Oak from Walmart and the pieces are huge. Let me know if you are interested.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    How many bags/pounds per pallet and what is the split?

jana in philly
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • cortguitarman
    edited July 2012
    @jlsm 30 20lb bags per pallet. Split would depend on # interested. One guy is interested in 10 bags. I've done a bulk buy with him in the past. You and I could split the remaining 20 bags @ 10 each. They are around $16 per bag. If more are interested, ill get more than one pallet.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Neptunes
    Neptunes Posts: 17
    Carlisle pa. I'm in!  10 or 15 is good. However it works out.
    It's no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk.
  • cortguitarman
    I plan on ordering lump very soon. Last chance for anybody in the Harrisburg/Lancaster area.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    @ cortguitarman, I carry Humphrey charcoal. Give me a crack at your order, what did the shipping cost run you? I can match or possibly even beat the 16 per bag if the order is large enough.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • If you can drive to the Humphrey facilities in Brookville, Pa, you can purchase a pallet for ~ $10 per 20lb bag.  I make the trip once a year and I'm good to go for another year. 
  • CGW1
    30 per skid.
  • cortguitarman
    CGW1 said:

@ cortguitarman, I carry Humphrey charcoal. Give me a crack at your order, what did the shipping cost run you? I can match or possibly even beat the 16 per bag if the order is large enough.

I live in PA and bought it direct from Humphrey. Including shipping, my cost was about $16/ 20# bag.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cortguitarman

If you can drive to the Humphrey facilities in Brookville, Pa, you can purchase a pallet for ~ $10 per 20lb bag.  I make the trip once a year and I'm good to go for another year. 

I've thought about going to the Brookville plant, but I'm only out that way during hunting season. 2 problems. The truck is full of hunting gear, and I don't have a closed trailer. Most years the truck doesn't have a deer in it, but a guy can hope, right? ;)

Also, the cost of fuel for my truck is close to the same amount as the shipping charge.

@hapster there are 30 20# bags/pallet. I'd like to get one more person on board so I can order 2 pallets. I know you are close to Fred's. He carries it if you want to try out a bag. I really like it. So far, Shiff and I are in. Neptunes never got back to me.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    @cortguitarman how often do you do this buy i'd be interested for the next the right now am sitting on 30 bags of RO and 10 bags of wegmens and some WW . winter time stock up lol 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • cortguitarman
    @bigphil This will only be the second time. I made the last order in May. I kept 15 bags and split the other 15 with 2 other guys. I have 4 bags left. I would estimate that I'll do this about 3 -4 times per year. If I order now, I'll probably end up ordering again in February. I use the egg all year long, but definitely less in the winter. I'm a teacher so I've got lots of time to grill in the summer.

Let me know when your stock is running low. I'll have a better idea of my winter usage by then. I got my egg last January so I haven't made it through a Fall or full winter yet.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited August 2012
    sounds great  i'll let you know 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • cortguitarman
    Last call. I really want to get this order placed, but need one more person to jump in on the order. Cost is roughly $16/bag, but could drop to $14/bag if I order a second pallet. There are 3 people in this buy right now. Me, Shiff and someone he knows. 30 bags split 3 ways doesn't go far. Currently Shiff and his group want 25 bags. I'm willing to buy the second pallet if someone would be interested in 10 or 15 bags. Please send me a message if interested. I would like to order this week. I'll pick it up and we can meet to divide it up, or you can meet Shiff and I at the shipping hub in Camp Hill.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • CGW1
    Cortguitarman, send me a PM regarding address etc. I'll put a call into Humphrey and see what I can do price wise.
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Is Humphrey available at stores in Harrisburg or along I-81/I-78?  I do an annul drive from Atlanta to NY/CT area and would like to pickup a few bags along the way to try.

Thanks.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• cortguitarman
    @SmyrnaGA I don't know of any place that sells Humphrey right along the I78-I-81 corridor. There is a place in Shillington, which is just outside of Reading, called Fred's Music and BBQ that sells Humphrey. It is about 30 minutes off of 78.

Fred's is worth the trip if you have the time. He carries his own line of rubs which are excellent. He also carries Dizzy Pig and many others. He also has just about any BBQ accessory you can think of. He is the guy on YouTube that does the egg videos. (The smokin guitar player).

If that doesn't work, I might be able to spare a few bags for you to try. I live close to 78 and work right off of 78. When will you be coming through?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    I'm thinking of coming up sometime next month. if not, I'll definitely come by next May. I'll have to add Fred's on my next trip up!

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.