Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal

Walkersbald
Walkersbald Posts: 12
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

I have only been using BGE lump. Have not tried any other brand. Am i missing out?

What does everbody else use?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    This subject is a good one for the "search function" as there are as many opinions as posters.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Also there is a great comparison on www.nakedwhiz.com check it out, I use BGE and Royal Oak, I have seen Cowboy at my Ace Hardware and will try that soon!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    lousubcap said:

This subject is a good one for the "search function" as there are as many opinions as posters.

+1

For what it's worth, I use Humphrey lump charcoal. If I'm out of Humphrey I use Royal Oak in the red bag. Many folks like Wicked Good Weekend Warrior. BGE lump is good, but very expensive. BGE lump is made for BGE by Royal Oak.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

The biggest thing you are missing out is saving $$$$$$$$$. Royal Oak (red bag / USA) at Walmart is BGE Lump just lots less $$$$$$$.....

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    I've been using mostly Wicked Good weekend warrior blend, or Dragon's Breath. 

Have tried a couple others...WGWW and Dragon's seem to be my favorites so far - mild taste, and the WGWW burns HOT and FOREVER, just takes awhile to light up.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i use WG for lo and slow day to day i like RO and wegmens seems RO makes it for them and its a 10pound bag for 5.99 as opposed to RO 8.8pound bag for six something 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Smity
    Smity Posts: 57
    I did a 18 hr cook with WG and still had some left. Long cooks they are the best I've used. Cowboy was good to just didn't last as long.
  • Thank you for all the great info!!
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    BGE lump is RO charcoal. RO does some private bagging for some folks, another example is Gordon Food Service, a small version of a sam's club or Costco, Gordon carries lump, turns out its RO in a different bag. So why pay extra $$$ for BGE branded lump, when it's a common brand that you can purchase for far less?? Just my 2 cents worth of info.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    RO has several different locations where the lump manufactured.  It could be that BGE has requested RO use the higher end lump be bagged as BGE.

I've come across some RO manufactured in different areas of the world that is God awful.  So far in my opinion RO made in US is the best, Argentina would fall second, Paraguay is not very good.  
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • cep55
    cep55 Posts: 20
    I am new here, but in my first six cooks I have found I really like WG. It is a lot more smoke neutral than anything else I've used (like RO, and Cowboy, which I have used pre-egg in my WSM). I like how it's milder for things like fish and chicken, and when I want more smoke flavor I add whatever smoke wood suits the occasion.

And though it takes a bit more to light, due to its density, as others pointed out it goes forever, with minimal consumption. Wicked good, indeed!
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Get some Wicked Good, it lives up to the name.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93