Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Size of Pork Shoulder

Options
MikeP624
MikeP624 Posts: 292
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to do a shoulder this weekend but I do not want have time to do a large pork shoulder.  Are there any negatives to cooking a small shoulder? Maybe one around 5lbs verses a larger shoulder?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Other than less pulled pork to inhale-nope. Almost forgot-less adult beverage time monitoring the BGE during the shortened cook-time as well :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I have never done a small one but the time per pound thing doesn't always apply. It seems to me that I've read where guys have done smaller ones and the take almost as long.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Do a search for turbo butts. You may have time to do a bigger butt this way.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I usually cook the shoulders for pulled pork. For me, pieces up to 4 pounds have tended to be a bit dry. Above, they just get better with size.  I've cooked a few as roasts, hotter and quicker, and removed around 165F. Good flavor, but still chewy.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I smoked a 5.9lb pork shoulder two weeks ago.  No problems whatsoever.  Right around nine hours or so.  Put on at 8am and was ready for dinner.  Plenty of pulled pork for the three of us with tons of leftovers.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio