Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Tri-Tip

Scott805
Scott805 Posts: 349
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

Well I couldn't resist at Central Market on Sunday where they had this lonesome tri-tip sitting in the box.  Said it was the last one so I picked it up at $8.99 lb.  Got home and read the forum to see how to prepare.  Used the Santa Rosa rub and let the meat rest for thirty minutes.  Started indirect at 325 - 350 and the tri-tip got to a temperature of 135 in about an hour.  Seared the meat for three minutes per side and let rest for 15 minutes.

Have to say, this was one of the best flavored meats I have tasted.  Ended up being cooked medium for my wife and daughter who is on a high protein diet.

Pictures (my camera work needs a little help):

#1 - Rubbed

#2 - Maverick on Egg.  Not even in the grill yet and it was in the shade!

#3 - The Sear

#4 - The Rest

#5 - The Cut

#6 - The Plate, with tomatoes, cheese, avocado, red onion.

Thanks to all who have posted about tri-tip.  Enjoyed the journey!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

Comments

• pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    Nice job with this one. I still have not tried a trip-tip.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    What Central Market did you find it at? Ihave looked around Dallas for a while and cant find it. I had it for the first time in LA a few weeks ago and thought I need to make it.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    The shape looks like more of a Sirlion tip or Ball tip roast. I think a lot of places around the country are mis-labeling these as tri-tips, because of the popularity out west of the tri-tip.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    What Central Market did you find it at? Ihave looked around Dallas for a while and cant find it. I had it for the first time in LA a few weeks ago and thought I need to make it.
    Greenville Avenue

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Greenville Avenue

Sweet, only 2 Miles away from home.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Looks good. I want to try one of these some time too. I need to find one in my neck of the woods first though. Folks have told me Costco has them but I am not a member.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379

Looks great, never thought about tri-tip tacos.  Preapared properly (and it's not real hard) tri-tip always makes a great meal, and great left overs.  One of my favorites for large parties.  Life long Californian so I grew up on this stuff, maybe a little biased.

George

George
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    As another life long CA growing up on Tri Tip,  I have never seen tri tip tacos before.
    Its now on the bucket list.  If you can get your hands on Red Oak for your cooks you will never make tri tip with any other wood again.  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • gte1
    As another life long CA growing up on Tri Tip,  I have never seen tri tip tacos before.
    Its now on the bucket list.  If you can get your hands on Red Oak for your cooks you will never make tri tip with any other wood again.

That's a fact.  The red oak with tri-tip is the perfect combo.

George

George
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    The shape looks like more of a Sirlion tip or Ball tip roast. I think a lot of places around the country are mis-labeling these as tri-tips, because of the popularity out west of the tri-tip.

I agree. That does not look like a tri-tip to me.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• very nice! Good job!
  • here in the mid west its called sirloin cap

• billyray

Scott805 This is the shape I'm talking about. You still have a good piece of meat and since you enjoy it, that's all that matters. I'm just saying that some stores are mis-labeling and charging a high price ($8.99 lb) in your case. Our Costco in Ca. has choice tri-tip ( 2 packs) for $4.79/lb. and you can get prime sometimes in the $6-$7/lb. range

BYS1981's Tri-tip is triangular in shape and only weighs 2 lb. 10 oz.

tri.jpg 213.9K
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • gte1
    That is most certainly a tri tip. Unfortunately my Costco rarely has them for less than 6.99/lb. Ball tips are really good too can't go wrong with either.
    George
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited August 2012

At first glance, I'm thinking it is not tri-tip as the shape looks a lot like sirloin cap (or what the brazilians call picanha) and not quite like my tri tip that billyray posted a pic of. Then I remembered that an untrimmed tri-tip can look like what scott805 cooked and in his pic of the meat on the Egg, it appears that there's a fair amount of fat cap on the top of it. Sorry to provide a link to a non-Egg site but this provides a good side by side view of trimmed vs untrimmed tri-tip: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tritip1.html

Now for a comparison, here's a pic of a sirloin cap that I cooked (sorry, obviously not on an Egg - try to focus on the meat :-\" ):image 

I found the direction of the grain to be noticeably different on the sirloin cap than a tri-tip and here you see when I sliced it across the grain, it was cut in a direction very similar to how Scott805 sliced his meat.image

So basically, without seeing a clear pic of the grain on Scott's beef or a pic of it unseasoned, I can't really say yay or nay if it was a tri-tip.  I can say that both cuts are delicious and either way I'm sure Scott had a great meal.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • billyray

If you like tri-tips, you'll love whole top sirloins.

A whole top sirlion has 2 parts. The cap is the part that has the outside fat on it. You can separate the two by a natural seam between them. Just pulling and slicing along the seam. When you trim up the cap, you get a piece that's similar in size and shape of a tri-tip and you cook the same way as a tri-tip. I think it is more flavorful than the tri-tip, also at our Costo you can get whole crayovaced USDA Choice top sirloins in the low $3.00 per lb. range, while tri-tips are usually in the $4.79 per lb. range.

The next question is what to do with the rest of the top sirloin? I slice both ends to square up the piece and trim this meat for stroggie, fajitas or stir fry. Then, depending on the size of the piece, I'll cut 2 or 3 pieces about 3" thick for roasts and cook these the same way as a tri-tip. I'll also get 1 or 2 steaks about 1 to 1-1/4" thick.

The whole USDA Choice top sirloins are in the 15 lb. range. I paid $2.99 for the last one I bought at Costo and had about 5 lbs. of waste, so my finished cost for 10 lbs. of usable meat was $4.50 per lb. Choice tri-tips that day were going for $4.79/lb.

Cook the top sirloin roasts with some SusieQ Santa Maria Rub, DP Cowlick, Raising the Steaks or Red Eye Express. If you can get some red oak chunks, use it and you'll never use anything else on these again.

Better flavor, cheaper price, can't beat that!