Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dealer told me the eggs are not sold with ceramic feet any longer? Is that true?

Options
bbqlearner
bbqlearner Posts: 760
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hi eggers,

My dealer told me that the eggs are no longer sold with ceramic feet any longer. Is that true? Does anyone know?

Any comments from your experience will help. Thanks.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I was given feet in Feb, but I have heard that feet are being phased out by a few here.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    I didn't get them with my XL in may, but I did get them with my large last month.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Try the search. It's a huge topic boss man. I personally feel like ya a gimmick but some others have said its being phased out.

XLBGE 
  • banjoman
    banjoman Posts: 51
    Options
    No feet with XL in July

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    XL has never come with the feet.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Never feet with XL... For other sizes, no green feet because they want you to buy the newish table nests.
  • bbqlearner
    Options

Thanks MrCookingNurse. Yes I just called the BGE mothership directly and heard firsthand that they have stopped manufacturing the ceramic feet. I bought one egg in April and got one but didn't get one when I bought another egg this July. Thanks for all the responses.

• wkenta86
    wkenta86 Posts: 17
    Options
    No feet for my large in July...
  • Griffin
    Options
    So they've stopped manufacturing them? Or just quit selling them with the Eggs? Wonder if you could buy them separately if you wanted to and what the logic behind this new decision is?

Rowlett, Texas

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    They want to sell the table nests seems like why they are doing it...
  • bbqlearner
    Options

Not sure what's the logic beside what Mighty Quinn said about maybe incentizing us to buy the table nests. But I asked a direct question "Are you no longer manufacturing the feet?" and a follow up question "How can I get ahold of ceramic feet?" and the response was I can only get it if some dealers still have some old models that comes with it, they can probably sell you the feet.

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I haven't been able to find these table nest that big green egg sales.

Glad u called then to clear up hearsay. I never used my feet. Shipped em to someone on here

XLBGE 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Seems like a corporate cost-cutting move to me.  They obviously thought (for many, many years) that the feet were of value.  What's changed...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bbqlearner
    edited July 2012
    Options

I see value in it but I guess I'll have to live with not having one for my small.

Now, I probably need the firebricks more for my eggs or if Cazzy can get the blacksmith to manufacture those custom stands, that'll be perfect :)>-

• fourwinds
    fourwinds Posts: 13
    Options
    There were no feet with my large that I bought a few weeks ago. I watched them cut the factory bands on the box prior to inspection and the box never left my sight. There were no feet to be found. 
  • Griffin
    Options

I don't know about cost cutting. They can't have cost much to make, but they stand to make quite a bit more if they can get people to buy the table nests instead.

Oh well, I guess people will just have to find something else to use as spacers between the place setter and whatever they put on top of it. You can always pick up a few of these cheap at a home depot or lowes or a nursery.

Rowlett, Texas

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Griffin, I did see these at HD and noticed they are made in Italy. Do you have them and have you used them in high heat? They are clay and was wondering about heat tolerence.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    I have not, but I did see a picture either here or the other place yesterday where somebody was using them. Not sure on how hot you could get them. You could always use some kind of metal spacers (invite for the argument about using galvanized metal argument to begin shortly)

Rowlett, Texas

• nolaegghead
    Options
    No argument here.  Metal spacers would be fine.  Anything flame resistant and strong enough.  Whatever you do, you just don't want any wood under the egg without an air gap and some kind of heat shield like a brick paver between the egg and the wood.
    Options
    they could certainly take the heat.  they're fired earthenware.  freeze/thaw would be the issue (if it was sitting on the ground like mine).

the bottom of the egg gets hot, but not so ho that the feet would be compromised
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    Would firebricks with air gap in between the split bricks be better to hold the heat than these? I would assume these will cost much cheaper than firebricks.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    these lift the egg and allow the air to be the insulator.  they aren't heat sinks
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    if you're looking for something to use as a spacer & you don't have the feet, and the big-box stores are closed - rolled up balls of aluminum foil work quite well!!  :-B
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • nolaegghead
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I have my egg on the ceramic feet which are on a paver sitting on a wood shelf.  Still gets hot with pizza, not hot enough to be dangerous but still pretty hot when I'm fired up for a long time for pizzas.  I'm thinking the air gap fixes the convective heat, but not the radiant.   I'd like to put a mat of this heat screen on top of the paver facing up.  Basically a radiant barrier.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=heat+screen&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=1lc&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1437&bih=904&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15720349726384690258&sa=X&ei=RR8YULUKzobRAYeDgLgH&ved=0CGQQ8wIwAA
    Options
    Interesting idea Nola. Let me know how it turns out.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Thanks, only problem it's about 50 bucks a roll and about 4 times more than I need.  Might just pull some off a firewall at the junk yard.
    Options
    something i find interesting is that the xl never had feet and it was strongly recommended by bge to not use feet with the xl because the wider flat bottom on that egg needed full support. does the xl table nest offer much more support
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Options
    I got my new large VGE last week, and it came with ceramic feet. Of course, I do not know how long it had been in stock at the store, but I have the impression that the store sells a lot of them.

Tim
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the aluminum balls won't do much to support the egg, if that's how they are using them.
    :))