Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket...is this how it begins?

Onegrecook
Onegrecook Posts: 121
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
First time cooking pizza. I cooked two of them tonight for dinner and this was what my gasket looked like when I was finished. Is this the beginning of the end?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Sadly yes it is your egg is doomed and no longer can be used safely . But as a curtesy to a fellow egg head i'll gladly come and pick it up and properly dispose of it safely for you . or you could contact your dealer or the Mothership for a replacement gasket . Mines fried as well(well more like 93% gone) and i have a replacement one just haven't installed it yet 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you bought it from an authorized egg dealer, it's FREE!
    Thanks. I appreciate your generosity but i think I'll try the second option :D
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    That gasket isn't fried yet. My nomex looks dark like that, but has lots of life left. Your stock gasket will fry. It is inevitable. You'll know it's done when smoke comes out of the egg from between the dome and base.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • My gasket looked like that and I just bit the bullet and did a nomex replacement.  Had my first cook on it tonight & worked just fine (minus my thermometer issue).
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    You might want to turn your plate setter over (legs up) it will help to prevent that from happening too.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Thanks. I appreciate your generosity but i think I'll try the second option :D
    ok if your sure but it's really no trouble at all  B-)
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    My gasket looked like that and I just bit the bullet and did a nomex replacement.  Had my first cook on it tonight & worked just fine (minus my thermometer issue).
    No comment about gaskets, but I love the Barrelman logo!
  • My gasket looked like that and I just bit the bullet and did a nomex replacement.  Had my first cook on it tonight & worked just fine (minus my thermometer issue).
    No comment about gaskets, but I love the Barrelman logo!
    Ha ha, great to hear!  I'm a diehard Brewers fan (suffering through this year) and this is my favorite logo of theirs!
  • Onegrecook
    bud812 said:

You might want to turn your plate setter over (legs up) it will help to prevent that from happening too.

I actually did have the plate setter legs up...still happened. It's not fried all the way through. I'll continue to watch it. Pizzas turned out pretty good. I'll have to try it again...just afraid the gasket won't make it.
  • Onegrecook
    The picture is a little deceiving and looks like the plate setter is legs down but it's not.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    My second gasket is fried and I have some smoke leaking out in a couple of places. Still had no problem maintaining 225 degrees overnight cook. Not planning on replacing it any time soon.
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The picture is a little deceiving and looks like the plate setter is legs down but it's not.
    I was about to call you on that but I looked closer and realized it was legs up.
    I guess I had 1 too many grilling fluids when I looked. (burppp) :-\"

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    on its way out for sure! my nomex is fairly blackened, but still softish to the touch. My felt looked like that and disintegrated shortly after it started looking like that