Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dover Sole

Scott805
Scott805 Posts: 349
edited July 2012 in Seafood
Any suggestions for how to cook on the EGG!  Watching my weight, so no frying.  Was thinking abuot a cedar plank.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Grill it on the bone, I think is the best.  Filets are very delicate, if you have the filet, cook on a plank or in a baking pan.  It'll overcook before it unsticks to the grate.

I like using goat butter on fish.
  • Sole can be thin unless you are lucky and near an ocean. I usually stuff them and roll up and grill using parchment or a frogmat. or as nola said whole or half  with bones. IMHO cedar will impart way too much flavour for such a mild fish.
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Thanks for the ideas!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800

I agree with the above. Cedar too strong for such a mild fish. Alder? Maybe but I wouldn't use smoke at all. Parchment over veggies sounds good too..

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • nolaegghead
    en papillote is another option....always fun. Here's a stripped bass I did.

Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited July 2012
    Probably my favourite way to do fish and shellfish. Justt a hint of smoke gets through and you can mix and match. Once you learn how to do the folds that is. :(
    Steven what do you cook the paper on (stone or grill or?). That is parchment, correct? How about time and temp.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I usually cook at about 350* Don Toyota.:D  You can do it on a stone or the grill. If you do the en papillote Nola shows it doesn't really matter. Time is about normal cook times with a couple of minutes added for the envelope to get warmed up to steaming temps. If you do fish it's nice to throw in some small shelfish (mussels, pasta clams, periwinkles and/or shrimp) to give a little stock in the package. If the fish is thick I stick a skewer through to make sure it's done.
  • nolaegghead
    Another variation is to use large banana leaves. 

;)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you had me at "large banana"
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • nolaegghead
    brow-CHAKKA-brow-wowwww

I've had fish and pork in banana leaves but they are kinda hard to find in the GWN

;)
    I just gotta reach over my backyard fence.  Banana trees are tough to get rid of.  We had a grove in the back - it was my gopher on caddy shack.   Ended up pouring a slab and building a shop over them.
    They don't like hard freezes.  We'll get a hard freeze every few years and they'll die.  Or at least look like it for about a week, but then they come back with a vengeance.