Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grouper Au Awesome (9 pics)

travisstrick
travisstrick Posts: 5,002
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Grouper or other white fish filet (about 2lbs)
Mushrooms (about 14 golf ball size)
Green onions (small handful)
Yellow onion (half a large)
White wine (1/4 cup)
Velveeta Cheese (1lb)
Salted Butter (1 stick)
Heavy whipping cream (small handful)

Grill the fish for about 5 min per side at 400 direct. 

Melt butter and Velveeta in microwave. 

Chop onion, green onion, and mushrooms and mix with melted butter and cheese.

Cut fish into large bite size pieces and place in oven safe pan. 

Evenly distribute mixed ingredients on top of fish in pan.

Season to tase ( I used salt, pepper, and DP Raging River)

Pour half a glass of white wine over everything. 

Bake in egg or oven at 350 until its all melted together (maybe 25min)

Play Steely Dan radio on Pandora

Drink lots of local Texas wine
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    First thank you for the fish. This we will have to try.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Thanks for sharing! Looks fantastic!!
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Very Nice, Glad to see your back into cooking in your spare time. Have you figured out a way to cook baby formula on the egg?

You might be able to strike it rich if you do.

Have you ever had Grouper Cheeks? I had them last time down in south Florida it like the filet of Grouper.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• travisstrick

Very Nice, Glad to see your back into cooking in your spare time. Have you figured out a way to cook baby formula on the egg?

You might be able to strike it rich if you do.

Have you ever had Grouper Cheeks? I had them last time down in south Florida it like the filet of Grouper.

Are  you kidding? I am a Grouper cheek expert. I worked in a seafood market cleaning fish in college and we sold the fish heads to a local crab fisherman. I cut all the cheeks out and kept them for free. Grouper cheeks and Red Snapper throats are my favorite parts of any fish. 
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Nice, I discoverd that goodness in Florida last year and the old lady at the fish market had taken a liking to me and told me that she would give some to me to try out. I didnt have an egg at the time just an old gas Weber. I made them up in lemon,garlic and butter and grilled them. I was sold went back every day to that fish market and spent all my money on seafood.

Now my Father In Law has an Egg and I will be in Florida in Feb, Im going to start thinking about Ideas for those tasty treats.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• travisstrick
    Oh yea, add to the list of fav fish cuts, fried snapper back bone. You have to get back bones from big snapper (maybe 8 lbs or bigger). The bones are big enough to not cause a problem swallowing them and the meat is the whitest and best tasting. 
  • khristyjeff
    khristyjeff Posts: 163
    We had this dish for lunch today.  Most excellent.  Thanks for the recipe, Travis.image
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Thanks Travis

I will give this a try--sounds great,

I try to follow all of your posts.

Dan
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I'll have a refill on halibut soon. Will definitely give this recipe a shot.
  • travisstrick
    That's too cool. Theres nothing better than someone doing a new recipe because of the forum. I'm glad it turned out well for you. 

I got the recipe from my mom and she got it from my paternal grandmother. Both life long residents of the Gulf Coast. 

Halibut would be awesome in this recipe. I jacked a bunch of flattys in Seward, AK once upon a time. 
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503

Travis, this is my 12th trip to Alaska.  Will be fishing on Kodiak island at Kodiak Sportsmans Lodge.  Nice place, been there once.  Got a halibut recipe at a different lodge similar to yours (not as good).  Got a "killer" recipe for an hors doevure (sp?) made with halibut or any good white fish.  Cut fish into 1 inch cubes wrap with bacon and put on BGE.  Need to 1/2 cook bacon before wrapping.  I do it in micro.  Half cooked but still limber enough to wrap, that way it gets real crispy at same time fish is done.  At coctail time I cant cook it fast enough to keep up with demand.

Hope lil Trav is doing fine.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Great looking meal, Travis, but I'm calling you out on the wine (unless that was just for the dish). You said drink plenty of local Texas wine and yet you have a Cali wine in your pic. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• travisstrick
    The sutter home crap was for cooking. In the final pic you can see I'm drinking some home sweet home from festia winery in Lampasas tx.
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Made this last nite.  Highly recommend.
  • HuskAus
    HuskAus Posts: 3
    Made this for dinner tonite.  One word:  Wow!!!  Thanks for sharing
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Nice.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • Jonathan1970
    Jonathan1970 Posts: 156
    Gonna try this. Thanks for sharing.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Dayum.  I must have missed the dinner bell.  Very nice cook

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    You had me until you got to Texas wine. Blech :(

I'm a wine snob, and have yet to find anything from Texas I like.

Fish looks great!
  • travisstrick
    You had me until you got to Texas wine. Blech :( I'm a wine snob, and have yet to find anything from Texas I like. Fish looks great!
    You sir, just made your way to the bad list for xmass. 

Try almost anything from Fredericksburg Winery. Their Orange Muscat 2010 was the absolute best liquid I have ever put in my mouth. And I HATE white wine. 

They only sell at their location or in cases shipped. Port and Dessert wine will do half cases.
  • bvanma28
    bvanma28 Posts: 57
    Hey, I have that same cutting board.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited July 2012
    burr baby33. Thanks for the recipe. I love halibut. Skates on the bay in Berkely CA serves the most tasty halibut cheek I have ever eaten. Travis, the Sisterdale winery in Sisterdale has some pretty good tasting wines too
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Dan4BBQ
    Tell me where you got the cutting board please???
  • travisstrick
    Dan4BBQ said:

Tell me where you got the cutting board please???

Bed bath and beyond.
  • Dan4BBQ
    Thanks---we are already going there this week to get a cooking timer.  I don't want my phone that close to the fire---or me cooking and my mess.

Dan
  • neddo1
    neddo1 Posts: 1
    How long would I cook striped bass filets about 3/4 inch thick &-no plank?
  • travisstrick
    With fish, less is always more. I would do a few min per side at 500 direct.