Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally the pizza dough recipe I was looking for!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I couldn't find the Antimo Caputo Tipo "00" flour anywhere in town, so I just ordered 10 1Kg bags from Amazon.  It was $34 shipped (I think).
    Not bad, I paid 2.49$ per bag at a local store.
    Yeah, having to mail order has increased my per pizza price by $0.09 over your cheap local price....damn.
    Does anyone have a good pizza sauce recipe?  Thanks!

Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • sjg34
    sjg34 Posts: 22
    booksw,
    I just order flour flour today in hopes of having it for next weekend.  Did you order yours from brick oven baker, and if so were they fast on shipment?

I would also appreciate any recommendations for a good sauce for other site members.

I've used this recipe before.  It's simple and not bad but I would like something new

1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    2 medium cloves garlic, grated on microplane grater (about 2 teaspoons)
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    pinch red pepper flakes
    Kosher salt
    2 six-inch sprigs fresh basil with leaves attached
    1 medium yellow onion, peeled and split in half
    1 teaspoon sugar
    Procedures
    Process tomatoes and their juice through food mill, pulse in food processor until pureed, or puree with hand blender. Puree should not be completely smooth, but should have no chunks larger than 1/16 of an inch. Set tomatoes aside.

Combine butter and oil in medium saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Add garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, and large pinch salt and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil sprigs, onion halves, and sugar. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to lowest setting (bubbles should barely be breaking the surface), and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by 1/2, about 1 hour. Season to taste with salt. Allow to cool and store in covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    they were pretty quick in the delivery but I haven't taken the plunge yet- still reading recipes...
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Does anyone have a good pizza sauce recipe?  Thanks!

@booksw I know you want a recipe, but the best sauce I've ever bought is made by Pastorelli.  I buy it by the case. When we have guests for pizza they always compliment the sauce. Check out their website.
  • booksw
    thanks @Duganboy! I just ordered some on amazon- I would LOVE to find a canned/jarred sauce that I like.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Duganboy
    I got two cases of the 8 oz cans last Thursday.  Been in business since 1927, so it must have something.  I really like.  I love to make my own crusts, but I'm content to buy the sauce.
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    How large a pizza does an 8 ounce can make?
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Duganboy
    I usually get three pizza out of (2) 8 oz cans.  That is about 2/3 cup sauce per pizza.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I will be traveling through Pittsburgh in Friday and found Italian store that sells Caputo 00 . . Do you suggest red bag or blue "pizza" bag? Also you feel buffalo motz is worth extra price over fresh motz?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • timekpr1
    I usually get three pizza out of (2) 8 oz cans.  That is about 2/3 cup sauce per pizza.
    Thanks - 12" diameter?
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Duganboy
    @timekpr1 very close to 12 in.  I have a 14" stone and it doesn't quite go to edge.  Most recipes say to use between 1/2 to 3/4 cup per pie, so 2/3 is right in the middle.

Purist say go light on sauce and toppings, but it is my pie and like to load it up.
  • timekpr1
    Thanks again.  Soap.com has them with 10% of your first order and free shipping at $25.
  • nolaegghead
    I will be traveling through Pittsburgh in Friday and found Italian store that sells Caputo 00 . . Do you suggest red bag or blue "pizza" bag? Also you feel buffalo motz is worth extra price over fresh motz?
    If you want to go purist with a real margherita pizza, mozzarella di bufala is the cheese, but you'll pay a fortune because it must be fresh, fresher than you can buy it here.  Low fat fresh mozzarella (balls in water) works fine, and only about $7/lb.
    Both flours seem to have a pretty big following. Some believe that at higher temps the blue bag is better while the red is better in a home oven. Others claim the red is better no matter what. To be honest I can't tell that much difference, but I believe the blue bag is only available in the 40 lb size. That's an awful lot of flour.
    XL BGE
  • nolaegghead
    I use the red.  The recipe in the thread is basically the one I follow, except I use a Kitchen Aid mixer with the bread hook.  2 minutes on low, 3 minutes a little faster, then 2 back on low.  Let the dough rise in the mixing bowl.  Make sure you follow the proofing instructions (at least in spirit) or you could get some weird textured crust.
    The blue one is the "real" thing and has a higher protein content but as @chuff says, it is only sold in huge bags; some resellers are re-packaging it in smaller bags. I could only find the red one but so far it is the best I had the chance to try, I purchased 2 orher brands of tipo "00" that I will try in the next few weeks. For the sauce, I use arabiatta pasta sauce that I purchase from a local italian restaurant.

This is an excellent pizza sauce. Easier to make than it looks. After our initial first batch to try it, we made a second double batch and froze. Note - we used our own fresh spices from the garden, we also grow our own San Marzano's.

http://youtu.be/jOmbEALwf_s

My shipment of Antimo Caputo is supposed to arrive today. Bought through Amazon but shipped by Brickovenbaker, 6 days from order placement to delivery by USPS priority mail.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • sjg34
    sjg34 Posts: 22
    I made the crust and sauce recipe contained within this thread last night and it made a wonderful deep dish pizza.  Thanks @paqman, @nolaegghead, @scooter759 for sharing.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    @sjg34 - Looks good!  How did you prepare the pan?  Did you add oil to it?  Did the crust brown properly in the pan?

I'll be making a pizza for lunch with dough I prepared a few days ago and leftover pulled pork from yesterday.  I'll share some pics later!

@paqman
    The pan was clean and dry when I rolled the crust.  Once I had the the dough the correct size I lifted the edges and added olive oil beneath the dough, may have use 1/4 cup with a 14" pan.  I let the dough rise about an hour after I added the oil and before adding the toppings and the sauce.
    It cooked for about 20 minutes at 500 degrees.  I wish I would have cooked it a little longer.  The crust had just a little color on the bottom, and I would have preferred it to be a little browner. I didn't let the pizza stone preheat prior to placing the pizza on the grill, so maybe if I preheated the stone it may have browned a little more.
    Let me know if the dough is better after it sits for a few days. I have enough to make another pizza and would like to save it for next weekend.
  • paqman
    Let me know if the dough is better after it sits for a few days. I have enough to make another pizza and would like to save it for next weekend.
    I made this dough several times in the past and it keeps verry well. The texture remains about the same. It may even be a little better.

Will it keep for a week in the fridge?
  • paqman
    edited August 2012
    Yes, the dough that I am about to use was made last saturday.  I'll post a pick of the crust in about 30 minutes.

Pulled pork pizza:

The dough was made 8 days ago.
    I applied a thin layer of Stubb's hickory bourbon BAR-B-Q sauce on the dough.
    Added left-over pulled pork from yesterday and mozzarella cheese.

imageimageimageimageimage

just bought two bags of the flour; trying it out tonight. thanks for the tip!
  • booksw
    We are having a get together tonight and I am making pizza for the first time thanks to this thread (our friends love being experimented on with our Egg!).  I made the dough earlier today and I am using the pastorelli canned sauce.

As luck would have it, my dome thermometer is not working.  I have another thermometer (the maverick that folks on this board recommend) that I could use at grate level but I have zero experience with it and cannot find the grate clip.  I guess I could just lay it down on the grate but that doesn't seem OK?
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • paqman
    booksw said:

We are having a get together tonight and I am making pizza for the first time thanks to this thread (our friends love being experimented on with our Egg!).  I made the dough earlier today and I am using the pastorelli canned sauce.

As luck would have it, my dome thermometer is not working.  I have another thermometer (the maverick that folks on this board recommend) that I could use at grate level but I have zero experience with it and cannot find the grate clip.  I guess I could just lay it down on the grate but that doesn't seem OK?
    @booksw I would NOT recommend using the maverick at pizza temps. You would risk burning the probe. Just get the egg as hot as you can get and let it be for 30-45 minutes. Then you will be ready for baking the pizzas. This recipe is for a high heat dough.

What kind of flour did you use?

I used the flour you told me to, of course :)  The red bag.  I used my bread maker on the "dough" setting (that was one of the options in the recipe you directed me to- I wouldn't have thought to do that myself- made it super easy!)
    OK, no thermometer. Thanks for that tip!!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs