Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eye Round "Steaks"

Options
dangerbird
dangerbird Posts: 6
edited July 2012 in Beef

Lovely wife comes home with an eye round roast cut up into 1" steaks????

What should I do with these? How do I cook that?

Thanks

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Curious to see what others say, as eye round tends to be rather tough.  I have done a whole roast but never steaks.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I've seen the eye of round steaks but agree with Doc, even the roasts can be tough if not careful.

I would go with a long marinade and don't cook past medium rare.  Chimichurri might be a good marinade for it, it adds a great flavor (eye can be blandish) and the acidity would help texture. 

I haven't tried that, just what I would do if I had them.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    I've seen the eye of round steaks but agree with Doc, even the roasts can be tough if not careful.

I would go with a long marinade and don't cook past medium rare.  Chimichurri might be a good marinade for it, it adds a great flavor (eye can be blandish) and the acidity would help texture. 

I haven't tried that, just what I would do if I had them.
    I was thinking Cimichurri for a marinade myself. Quick grill. Slice across the grain to serve...even though they're steaks.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'd braise them in a stew or cut up and make stir fry or beef jerky.
    Options
    I give eye of round roast to the dogs raw but they loose weight.  No fat.  Swiched to chuck.  Grind them coarse for chili.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i've done them marinated over night then high sear both sides and took to 140 internal on a roast 
    they weren't bad or overly tough sliced thin like a london broil 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • cheifcook
    Options
    Next time keep the eye round together.  Wrap with string and roast low and slow.  2 hours on the grill with the plate setter 260 degrees under then wrap in foil for next to hours 240  degrees.  Really tender.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

Read this technique in Fine Cooking a while ago - and it might help these steaks....basically you slice steaks into thick strips, turn the strip on the side so you can cut across the grain and slice into thin strips across the grain.

From there I would toss in a basic marinade for an hour or so - to pick up some worch/balsamic/pepper/garlic and maybe a bit of EVOO.

Then I'd make philly cheesesteaks - onions/peppers.  If you have a comal or cast iron skillet you could do it on the egg - but it wouldn't be necessary.

You could do the same thing with the meat and make stir fry if you have a wok.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Pound thin, stuff with roasted red pepper, wilted spinach, and fontina cheese...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    these were ribeye, but terryaki steaks would probably be a good bet with an eye round

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it