Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Wood Flavor for Smoking Boston Butt

Options
Wally_Wabash_03
Wally_Wabash_03 Posts: 95
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm a relative newbie -- I'm going to be doing the Naked Whiz's slow cook pulled pork tonight.  Any suggestions for what kind of wood to use for the smoke? I have hickory and that would be my default, but I would be interested in any other suggestions -- I'll provide pics and updates throughout.  

Thanks!!

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i like apple and hickory or cherry , 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    ^^^^ I like all 3 of those. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Apple or maple for me.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I go with a mix of apple and cherry-heavier on the cherry.  It will turn out great wth whatever you use. A very forgiving cook.  Enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • LeggoMyEgg0
    Options
    Better to use too little wood than too much, especially for a low and slow. All of those are good woods, but I find that hickory overwhelms fruit woods when mixed.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

Better to use too little wood than too much, especially for a low and slow. All of those are good woods, but I find that hickory overwhelms fruit woods when mixed.

Excellent point-I never mix fruit woods with the traditional hard woods.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I am addicted to the jack Daniels chips right now. What I used my last low n slow
    Boom
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Options
    Hickory for me, too!

Tim
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    You can never go wrong with hickory and pork.  However, you have to figure out what YOU like the best. Good luck and as @lousubcap says enjoy the journey.
  • Roob
    Roob Posts: 9
    Options
    Pecan is mellow -  good replacement for hickory.   I go with a mix of Pecan and a fruitwood (apricot at this time). 
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Options
    Pecan is mellow -  good replacement for hickory.   I go with a mix of Pecan and a fruitwood (apricot at this time). 
    A pecan tree is actually a type of hickory tree.

Tim
  • Wally_Wabash_03
    Options
    I picked up both apple and cherry. My thought is to go with a mix of the two. Putting the roast on around midnight tonight - pics to come!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    A pecan tree is actually a type of hickory tree.

Tim
    You're right, but Pecan smoke tastes much milder and sweeter.
    Options

I picked up both apple and cherry. My thought is to go with a mix of the two. Putting the roast on around midnight tonight - pics to come!
    Nice! Thats what I usually do for butts. A bit more cherry than apple, but the fruit woods are really mild and complement the pork well. The fruit woods also work great for poultry.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE