Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid not concentric with base...

ElektroOganik
ElektroOganik Posts: 11
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've had my egg about two months and I was looking at the gasket condition tonight and I noticed that one side was eliptically deteriorating. When I looked at the lid when it is closed, it sits about 1/4" off axis, towards the back mechanism. Is this common? Can I adjust it myself somehow? Any help would be greatly appciated.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    If you are talking about the gasket, just cut the over hang off. If you are talking lid, just loosen the bolt on top and fix it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Loosen up the hinge and strap bolts, align it, then tighten everything back up.  Make sure the straps are on evenly.  Tighten the hell out of the straps.  Might take you a couple tries to get it right.  Final check is a dollar bill (or a five - inflation) should meet resistance when you close the lid on it and pull it out....check that all the way around the egg.  This is to check if you have even pressure around your gasket, which you will eventually burn off.
    Nola has it right. I had to adjust mine after putting on my egg mates. The key was to make sure the straps are even all the way around. Also, they don't have to be pushed all the way to the lip as long as they're even.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • nolaegghead
    ElektroOganik 

Let us know if that worked.  There's a lot of play in the bolt-holes where you can adjust the alignment.  I think where it goes out of align most often is, people don't tighten the two straps evenly - newegg13 hit it on the head.  Tighten one a little, then the other. 
    Nola has it right. I had to adjust mine after putting on my egg mates. The key was to make sure the straps are even all the way around. Also, they don't have to be pushed all the way to the lip as long as they're even.

How do you get them even all the way around?
  • Nola has it right. I had to adjust mine after putting on my egg mates. The key was to make sure the straps are even all the way around. Also, they don't have to be pushed all the way to the lip as long as they're even.

How do you get them even all the way around?
    I think this is sometimes a 2 person job.  I've been dealing with this since I put on a new gasket yesterday.  It can sometimes help to have another person lifting on the handle or applying even pressure all the way around to help keep it even.  Also, what seemed to work for me is first hand tightening the bolts, checking things were even & then tightening more, making sure they were still even & then finally really wrenching down on the bolts.  Mine passed the dollar bill test, although there is still more slightly more drag on the right hand side than the left but still drag all the way around.  Might have to adjust after the first cook we'll see.
  • I've re-seated the lid, loosened everything of and re-tightened them evenly ...seems to have worked! I'll keep an eye on it. I did a whole hot smoked salmon at 190f overnightand to my surprise when I woke up and walked into the garden in the morning, it was still at the same temp. What a machine!
  • nolaegghead
    Hell to the yeah!  They designed it with oversized holes, slots and the like so it could be aligned.  I've (initial assembly, gasket replacement, not liking the 2 degrees I didn't pay attention to the handle being 180 degrees from the hinge, etc.) adjusted them a few times. 

Gets easier every time.  You'll eventually get to the point where it's settled and it won't need anything except maybe a tightening, and years down the road replacing rusted hardware (why didn't they use stainless?).
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Because of coefficient of expansion...the ceramic is closer in expansion to steel than stainless. There you go.
    I have no idea if you are right or not but kudos for a most impressive sounding answer.