Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let me see your tools

AustinL911
AustinL911 Posts: 13
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys,

New here.  Awesome forum so far.  I've got a Large BGE on order which should be here in a couple of days.  I've got my plans drawn out for a pretty nice cedar table which I plan on starting to build within the week.  I'm trying to figure out what kind of tools I want to buy.  I tried searching but couldn't find anything related to the subject.  What kind of tools to you guys use for your egg?  Pics are always fun, so post some up. 

Besides food and charcoal, what do you guys consider as necessities for your BGE?  I bought a platesetter, but took it back because I think I'm going with an AR instead.  Thoughts?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Are you talking about cooking tools or tools to build your table?

Dang it if she wasn't right

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BTW- I know you are new....I'm just busting on you a little. We are glad you are here and just having fun

• AustinL911
    AustinL911 Posts: 13
    edited July 2012
  • nolaegghead
    First tool you'll need is a bottle opener.

Plate setter is a must.

Pizza stone if you want to make bread or pizza.

You probably already have spatulas, grill brushes, etc.

Hot pads or gloves.  Probably already have those.  Some people buy grate lifters.  I've just been using tongs.   Get some really long tongs.  Throw away all your BBQ forks.

Flashlight and an alarm clock OR DigiQ or Stoker system.

Very important!!!! - good food thermometer.  I have a Thermapen.

Few bricks and an extra grate for high dome cooking.

There's so much stuff you can buy, depends on what you want to cook...

The super-tool!  Right-side-up it lifts round grates.  Upside-down it lifts iron grates.  Extended the handles to clean out fire-box holes.  One quick grip and gunked up daisy wheels move like fat through a goose.  Light taps of the head allow micro-adjustments of the lower vent.

Not available in stores!  Found by the side of the road.

My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Thermapen and a Maverick 732 if you are planning on doing low and slow BBQ. Great tools when you are getting started and figuring this ceramic cooking thing out. The digiQ is cool too for low and slow. I don't use them but they literally turn your egg into a plug and play oven that can perfectly control temps for days

• One "tool" that I use a lot are grill grates (from grillgrates.com)  They allow you to cook somewhere between direct charcoal heat and indirect heat using a plate setter.  They have some that are designed to fit on eggs of various sizes.

I'm cooking chicken breasts tonight; guess what tool I'll be using?  You're right.

P.S. 1) the grates also come with a spatula and 2) I have no connection with the company, I just like their product.
  • moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    I would also agree that a plate setter is a must. I use it regularly. Welcome aboard.
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Thermapen and a Maverick 732 if you are planning on doing low and slow BBQ. Great tools when you are getting started and figuring this ceramic cooking thing out.

+1 to that. If you don't want to spring the big bucks for a Thermapen yet you can cheat by inserting a (less expensive) digital thermometer into the daisy wheel vent until it comes to your target temp.  Less burning the hairs of your fingers when you check the meat.  However you do it, it's absolutely essential to know the temp of your meat.  You can get away with any digital thermometer for a long time.  The Maverick 732 is the "next level".  Not necessary right away but sooner or later you will have one.

My actuary says I'm dead.
  • nolaegghead

The super-tool!  Right-side-up it lifts round grates.  Upside-down it lifts iron grates.  Extended the handles to clean out fire-box holes.  One quick grip and gunked up daisy wheels move like fat through a goose.  Light taps of the head allow micro-adjustments of the lower vent.

I GOTTA GET ME ONE!!!

I GOTTA GET ME ONE!!!

I use an old handle, gripper whatever you call it to lift and adjust hot daisy. I can't live without my fish spatula and tongs: Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
  • WickedIsland
    WickedIsland Posts: 153
    Oops.. Meant to explain... The gripper thing is what was once used to move around the burner covers on old wood/coal cooking stoves. It is very handy and many antique shops have them. One of my pics was a dupe. My tongs (nothing special just my life line) Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2012
    Welcome to forum. Guessing you are in Austin. I use a grid lifter more than any other tool. For what it says, to stir ash, to clean the grid. You are so right on the adj rig over the plate sitter. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I'm with Mickey in the AR over platesetter

still gotta get me one of those grid lifters. I have a short handled one that does not work as well as i would like

• WickedIsland
    If by PS you mean plate setter then it is a must and if by AR you mean adj rig, myself I don't have a rig (I have the pswoo3) but think you need a PS no matter what your grate set up is. The plate setter is a must for indirect. I am very new to this so a vet will chime in soon I hope. I am sure it might be cheating but I have much more successful cooks with it. For example tonights dinner... I find fish comes out better indirect than raised direct with the woo
  • Mickey
    This works well for hot pizza stones and cast iron and hot pots. This and welder gloves. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• WickedIsland
    Got to get me one of those Mickey. I have a CI grate but haven't used it b/c I can't lift the thing. Your deal is way better that the fancy BGE lifter
  • If by PS you mean plate setter then it is a must and if by AR you mean adj rig, myself I don't have a rig (I have the pswoo3) but think you need a PS no matter what your grate set up is. The plate setter is a must for indirect. I am very new to this so a vet will chime in soon I hope. I am sure it might be cheating but I have much more successful cooks with it. For example tonights dinner... I find fish comes out better indirect than raised direct with the woo
    The AR does not use a platesetter. It uses stones. If you are going to go AR, do not buy a platesetter. Tom will get you all the stuff you need to work with the AR. 
  • Mickey
    Well, My wife was right. She said "skulk around the internet long enough and some dude you don't know is going to ask to see pictures of your tools"

John I think that is called sexting :-B

• Well, My wife was right. She said "skulk around the internet long enough and some dude you don't know is going to ask to see pictures of your tools"

and here I was telling my kids to be careful!

• WickedIsland
    If by PS you mean plate setter then it is a must and if by AR you mean adj rig, myself I don't have a rig (I have the pswoo3) but think you need a PS no matter what your grate set up is. The plate setter is a must for indirect. I am very new to this so a vet will chime in soon I hope. I am sure it might be cheating but I have much more successful cooks with it. For example tonights dinner... I find fish comes out better indirect than raised direct with the woo
    The AR does not use a platesetter. It uses stones. If you are going to go AR, do not buy a platesetter. Tom will get you all the stuff you need to work with the AR. 

Thanks Cen-Tex. Austin, the ceramic grill store also has great info on their site that will help you decide on a woo or rig.
  • moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61

Mickey said:

Well, My wife was right. She said "skulk around the internet long enough and some dude you don't know is going to ask to see pictures of your tools"

and here I was telling my kids to be careful!

Haha. Well said.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Late to the party-but you need some sort of rig to do indirect cooks-can be Platesetter, AR with stones , another grid with  some sort of delector-you get the idea.  A set-up for raised direct cook is not an immediate necessity but does give you lots of flexibility.  Good instant thermo read for hot& fast cooks and some type remote thermo for low&slows (or a cheap analog oven safe one you can see through the DFMT).  Good set of gloves and you can play around for a while, get used to the BGE and read about the hundreds of $$ you can spend on after-market accessories here.  Welcome to the cult-easy on the Kool-Aid.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Got to get me one of those Mickey. I have a CI grate but haven't used it b/c I can't lift the thing. Your deal is way better that the fancy BGE lifter

Wicked, contact Lawn Ranger (Mike) gridlifter@gmail.com Now he is going to tell you it is not made to move CI. I used mine before I stopped using CI for my Large and Small CI. I just like SS much better.

• Also, might want to hit up Dizzypigbbq.com and buy some rubs. Search dizzy pig and several threads will come up. The last one got a little contentious if I remember right but there was good info on there anyway. Might get a laugh out if it.

Everyone has a favorite but they are all very hi Q and delicious

• WickedIsland

Wicked, contact Lawn Ranger (Mike) gridlifter@gmail.com Now he is going to tell you it is not made to move CI. I used mine before I stopped using CI for my Large and Small CI. I just like SS much better.

Thanks, I have a large a do use the SS grid the most and I am not in love w/ the BGE gripper I have.
  • Mickey
    What Hapster said: get your camera.