Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt

Options
RDMS
RDMS Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in Pork

I'm now ready to try a pork butt( shoulder) really confused on best way to cook. Thanks to all who have responded so far, has been a great help Just did spatchcock chicken direct with raised grid at 350 was wonderful, was devoured in one day!

Again any and all advice is welcome, you all have been a tremendous help when you are first starting as I am, but getting more confidence and havig fun at this

RDMS

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Stabilize your egg at 275 dome/250 grid. That will get your butt done in 1-1.5 hours a #. Pull at 195-205 internal. You essentially want the probe or fork to slide in like butter. If its done early, wrap in foil & towels, then toss in the cooler until dinner is ready.

What are you seasoning with? Do you have a pit controller or something to monitor food temp...like a maverick et732?

Some use mustard as a binder (can't taste it) to help the rub stick (I don't). Fruit wood is pretty good for butts...cherry, apple, pecan etc.

Butt is a very forgiving and easy cook...you'll do great!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've tried a number of variations, and everyone has their own version, but I've had great luck with keeping it simple:

1. Pull out of fridge.  Trim fat to 1/4" if excessively thick.
    2. Apply seasoning (rub).  Let warm up close to ambient.
    3. Cook with indirect heat around 250 F +/- 30 on stable fire with lump and wood chunks
    4. Pull off at 190-195 F average center temp if you want pulled, 15 F less if sliced
    5. Let rest 30 minutes
    6. enjoy

Options
    I usually clean the meat in the sink, dry, apply mustard and apply the rub the night before I throw it on the Egg.

You're in luck because even when you don't get everything perfect, pork shoulder\butt is still really good!
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!
  • easttexasaggie04
    Options
    As others have said, pork butt is very forgiving, and also very tasty.  Great for sandwiches for the next couple of days after the initial dinner is served.

Me?  Here's what i do...

- Apply to dry rub
    - Let sit until it reaches room temperature for a while
    - Smoke on indirect (use plate setter) at 225 degrees until internal reaches 200 degrees
    - wrap in foil and place in a cooler for a few hours
    - pull and enjoy!