Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter question

reh111
reh111 Posts: 196
edited July 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I've had my BGE for a little over a year - got a plate setter when I bought it - one night, after a long cook I dropped and broke it - went to a local dealer to get a replacement - the replacement was fine but different from the original in that it had what I would call "ribs" on the outside of the legs - no really big deal but in the plate up position it really didn't fit because the "ribs" made the plate setter too wide so that at least one of the legs wouldn't sit on the fire ring - yesterday, I did a couple of pork butts all day and when they were done the plate setter (which had been on the fire legs up) was a mess because of the drip pan boiling over, the pork fat dripping on it, etc - so I opened up the vents, turned the plate setter legs down and did a "clean burn" - this morning everything was fantastically clean and one of the legs of the plate setter had broken at the point where the leg attaches to the base - I've ordered some Rutland masonry cement to try to re-attach it but I'm guessing that's not going to be a satisfactory long term solution, so: question:

Has BGE started making the place setters with "ribs" on the side and, why?? And, do you think the Rutland will help and, is there a way I can get a replacement PS w/out the ribs??

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Never seen one with ribs on it. I think those are a warranty item but I'm sure someone else will confirm.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    My platesetter has "ribs" on the exterior of the legs such as you describe. They appear to me to be cast into the unit to add strength. However, it fits into my large with plenty of room to spare. I'm betting that one of your legs broke due to heat expansion and the tight fit. Are you certain you got the correct platesetter for your Egg?
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Mine has ribs. I bought it this year. I've seen a lot of members post that they use JB weld to reattach legs.
  • The platesetter is warranty for three years. Mine cracked down the middle but held together. I to did a clean burn with my platesetter and I'm wondering if that extreme heat did it?
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Mine cracked down the middle about two years ago, then completely split in two last summer.  I've been using JB Weld to hold it together since then, although I've had to redo it a few times.  Holds fine for low and slow cooking.  Pizza, not so much!

New platesetter or an AR is in my future!
    Mamaroneck
  • reh111
    My platesetter has "ribs" on the exterior of the legs such as you describe. They appear to me to be cast into the unit to add strength. However, it fits into my large with plenty of room to spare. I'm betting that one of your legs broke due to heat expansion and the tight fit. Are you certain you got the correct platesetter for your Egg?
    I have a medium - when I bought the replacement from a local dealer the box described it as being for a medium.  It fits with legs up, just not with legs down - the "ribs" are cast into the platesetter material also - If the cement doesn't work, I'll try taking it back to the dealer under warranty.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Interesting. Maybe that is something new the Mothership is doing so that we will follow their advice and only cook with the legs up so that we don't burn off the gasket. I'll have to check my placesetter to see if it has ribs on it but mine fits either way.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Ours broke a couple months after buying it.  Took it back and picked up a new one, no questions asked.
    Interesting. Maybe that is something new the Mothership is doing so that we will follow their advice and only cook with the legs up so that we don't burn off the gasket. I'll have to check my placesetter to see if it has ribs on it but mine fits either way.
    Where does the "mothership" recommend only using a plate setter legs up??  I wasn't aware that was their advice?  Would you mind linking me to where that advice occurs? - Thanks
  • nolaegghead
    Rutland is good stuff.  I used it on my fireplace and it is holding up well.  Follow the instructions and use thin coats and let the dry good before the next coat.  It doesn't like to be heated up with moisture inside.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    If you take it back, be sure to mention to your dealer about the tight fit. Perhaps have them try the new one in one of their display Eggs if they have a medium there. I don't think they should be fitting that tight - legs up OR down. 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited July 2012
    Something of a rookie here, as I've only been Egging for a year, but still haven't seen the need to put platesetter legs down.  I have always used it legs up with the grid on top if I needed to support another cooking device or food.  It would seem to me that legs down would impede the circulation of heat around the auxiliary cooking device/food and make it more like a stove burner on one of the glass top ranges.  Please let me know if I have missed something here.

I did discover an issue when using the split cast iron grids on my XL when cooking meatloaf, the three legs do not support the two grids very steadily, it wants to collapse opposite the rear leg.  Before the next meatloaf, I will have some sort of fire proof device to support the grid on the front side opposite the rear leg as there is no position in which it becomes stable.  Probably just cut a short length of 2"stainless square tubing to the same length as a leg and place it atop the platesetter under the split in the grids   
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I use mine legs down all of the time for pizzas. It has ribs on the legs and fits with room to spare in my XL. Sounds like you got a defective plate setter.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Any pics of these ribs?

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    Here ya go
    Oh cool. Mine has the ribs

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    But it fits both ways

XLBGE 
  • reh111
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141633

The way I read that, the recommendation for only using the plate setter with legs up has to do with frying the gasket - not that it has any adverse impact on the plate setter
    Something of a rookie here, as I've only been Egging for a year, but still haven't seen the need to put platesetter legs down.  I have always used it legs up with the grid on top if I needed to support another cooking device or food.  It would seem to me that legs down would impede the circulation of heat around the auxiliary cooking device/food and make it more like a stove burner on one of the glass top ranges.  Please let me know if I have missed something here.

I did discover an issue when using the split cast iron grids on my XL when cooking meatloaf, the three legs do not support the two grids very steadily, it wants to collapse opposite the rear leg.  Before the next meatloaf, I will have some sort of fire proof device to support the grid on the front side opposite the rear leg as there is no position in which it becomes stable.  Probably just cut a short length of 2"stainless square tubing to the same length as a leg and place it atop the platesetter under the split in the grids   
    The only reason I use it legs down is to "clean burn" the gunk that accumulates on the plate setter during a long smoke with a drip pan - but I think some use it that way for pizza and bread
    Here ya go
    Yep - the one that broke and doesn't fit legs down is the one on the right
  • TaylorCR
    TaylorCR Posts: 34
    We just bought a LBGE for one of my buddies for his Wedding/ Groomsmens gift.  I noticed a couple of things that were slightly different from my LBGE, which is less than a year old.

His plate setter had the ribs... although I dont have a plate setter, the ones available when I bought mine where flat/ straight edge leg.

His fire ring had 3 notches in it. Im assuming it is to accommodate the plate setter. It sets in there nicely & is more secure.   My fire ring is level/ flat no notches. 

Also, his new egg has a huge handle... similar to the ones on the XL. 
    I stole two Charolais heifers ...

Little Rock, Arkansas

• nolaegghead
    I'll put the plate setter in legs  down so I can place 3 bricks on it and get the grate high up into the dome.  I've upgraded my gasket so no worries there.

Mine has the ribs, fits both ways.

@TaylorCR -check and see if his has the black hardware (nuts and blots)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Ribs here too. Legs down for pizza. BGE fire ring has the 3 notches as well. No issues with fit on my lg.
  • seabird20
    seabird20 Posts: 7

I am really annoyed with my MEDIUM. It has been nothing but trouble. I have now cooked on it 5 times (only). The gasket is messed up where the back, hinged part of the lid is - essentially as the lid comes down it pinches the gasket and pushes it aside. The plate setter won't fit legs down. The first plate setter broke where the legs attach (when legs up in the grill), and the company I bought it from said it was a "non warranty" item. So I have bought another plate setter. The second one doesn't fit legs down either.

Quality control sucks. Leaving the assembly to a local installer was terrible. They left some plastic padding inside the firebox. If I had not disassembled it first, I would never have noticed and would then have had to deal with burnt plastic residue. The opening in the ring didn't line up with the bottom vent so the airflow would have been screwed up.

I have now bought the high heat gasket, paid for a new place setter and am extremely disappointed with the dealer and the company

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Call BGE directly. In my limited experience they have been fantastic. If your dealer won't make it right, I'll bet BGE will.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • seabird20
    seabird20 Posts: 7
    Call into BGE now. We will see.
  • reh111
    Update on my situation - decided to try to repair the broken leg on the plate setter - didn't want to spend $30 - 40 on the Rutland cement and have a bunch left over so I bought their "Fireplace Mortar" - $6.99 - used it and cured it like directed - the leg seems to be firmly attached although I haven't tried grilling with it yet - we'll see, but this appears to be a fairly inexpensive way to fix cracks in the plate setter and fire rings - hopefully

• Well 3 days and three calls. Nothing from BGE intergalactic HQ. Be ready to look on Craigslist for one slightly used BGE