Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NY Strips & outdoor movie night

scottyintx
scottyintx Posts: 13
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

My daughter's best friend flew in from Missouri last week to stay with us for a week. Last night was her last night so I decided to grill up some steaks on my LBGE. Then after dinner they wanted to have some friends over to watch "Jaws" from the pool so I set up our Backyard Movie Theater. Everyone had a blast!!

I do have a couple of questions about my cook though. I loaded up the egg with fresh lump and got my webster chimney starter going. Once the coals in chimney were red hot i dumped them evenly on top of the lump in the egg. With the bottom vent fully opened and the top uncovered i closed the lid. The dome temp quickly started to rise. I went to prep steaks and after about 10 min I went to check on egg. the temp was 500 and rising with flames almost coming out of top vent. Several minutes later i checked egg again and the dome reading had dropped down to "0". Couldn't get it to give me a reading. I know the egg was HOT so I'm not sure what was up with the thermometer (Later it did jump up and appeared to be working properly). Here is my main question..when i put the steaks on the grill to sear, the flames were still shooting up pretty good. I Trex'd em so I left on each side for 90 seconds before removing them to get temp back down to 400. Even though the steaks turned out absolutely wonderful, they were a bit to charred for my liking. Am I suppose to wait until there are no flames to sear the meat???   

Here are a few pics of the evening. Sorry for the lame pic of the finished product but was too hungry to dress it up nicely!! The movie was a hit also! There are 11 of us on one tube...I'm the baldy in the back! 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Me thinks the thermometer needle spun all the way around to zero.

Heck, I never thought of that. Did I screw up by allowing it to get that hot??

• nolaegghead
    Nah, it'll be fine.   Might want to check the temp in boiling water.
    Did that today actually. Calibration was good! I thought the reading dropped during the cook..never dawned on me the dern thing got so hot the needle went all the way around.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Food looks good. Outdoor movie by the pool is pretty cool.
  • Jonathan1970
    Jonathan1970 Posts: 156
    Our community pool has "Dive In" Movies every week. Jaws was a nice selection and a great way to enjoy a movie. I did the same thing cooking steaks. It finally dawned on me the gauge went full circle.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Yeah...I agree w/ nola...you wrapped the temp around.  I also agree that you're fine as our eggs can get piping hot.

I love the outdoor movie pics and it does look like like group had a blast.

In regards to your charring, the higher heat and the use of EVOO were to blame.  Honestly, EVOO doesn't add anything to the end result in terms of flavor and also will burn at high temps and produce more char and possibly a off flavor tone.  Next cook, lose the oil and you won't notice and difference and you'll like your results much better.  

When I add fat to a steak, I get real butter and add garlic to it and mix it up.  After mixing, I freeze it for 30 minutes so it's workable and roll it into nickel size balls.  I then but a garlic ball on each steak during resting.  Some people add finely diced chives to the mixture.  Good luck!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    I agree with cazzy - I'm getting better results with steaks on the egg if I don't oil them, then butter when resting.  If your grate is seasoned there shouldn't be any problems with it sticking.