Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lexington named top BBQ city in U.S.

pasoegg
pasoegg Posts: 447
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just read that Lexington N.C. has just been named the top BBQ city in the US....we just live 15 minutes from there and frequent all of the restraunts mentioned....they put out a GREAT product everyday and serve the masses....check out this link - http://myfox8.com/2012/07/24/lexington-named-top-bbq-city-in-u-s/...give them a try if you are up in this neck of the woods.....it's only about 25 minutes to Lexington from the eggfest in Winston-Salem next month.

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

Comments

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Lived in NC my whole life and have never had any BBQ from Lexington. Since I am from eastern NC I guess it may be the whole east vs west thing for me. I do need to get over that way and give it a try sometime. I've only had the eastern style and love it, but I am willing to give the west a shot. I don't make it that way often though. If I am going west I am usually taking 40 to Asheville. Good to see NC on the map no matter which style it is.
  • RoyalQ
    RoyalQ Posts: 11
    That list is based on the ratio of restaurants to residents, so it favors small towns. A top 10 BBQ list with KC absent? Something must be wrong.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Ncbbq I really like both eastern and piedmont style and actual BBQ is very similar with vinegar base Biggest difference is in the slaw- piedmont uses vinegar based slaw My favorite is in your neck of the woods- B's is hard to beat
    Greensboro, NC
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

?????????? only one Texas city and that Tyler?????????  Passing up Austin, LOCKHART and Houston????????

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    According to livability.com.. Take that with a grain of salt.

Good plug for for Lexington however.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm surprised about the lack of texas cities.  Best BBQ is supposed to be Franklyn in or around Austin. 

My brother said we need to go there next time I'm visiting in SA.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/us/19ttpatoski.html

I'm surprised about the lack of texas cities.  Best BBQ is supposed to be Franklyn in or around Austin. 

My brother said we need to go there next time I'm visiting in SA.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/us/19ttpatoski.html

Franklin BBQ is in East Austin, and I've read killer reviews on it. The wife and I are headed down to San Antonio this weekend. If only there was a way I could leave earlier, I'd make it a point to stop by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you're driving in from the East on 10, you can cut through Austin and it'll only cost you about 40 minutes.
    @Wolfpack, B's is good but I haven't been there in years. I've actually been living in the Triangle for about 14 years now. Looks like the Texans got their tails a little ruffled over this BBQ list. Don't they know BBQ is pork? Just messing with you guys. I like brisket too, but in NC BBQ is pulled pork and nothing else. BBQ is pork, brisket is brisket in our neck of the woods.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    felt like all the eyes in Texas were upon me for sharing this....thanks for the back ncbbq...nice to have a partner in the foxhole....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    I'm trying to stay on those fellas good side so they will help me next time I cook a brisket. Hopefully they won't get to mad at me for some friendly taunting. I got your back though @pasoegg.
  • ?????????? only one Texas city and that Tyler?????????  Passing up Austin, LOCKHART and Houston????????

Um, whoever wrote this loves pork. Tyler is all ribs and pulled pork. Funny how Tyler was not represented in the Texas Monthly best BBQ issue. I'll put Franklin up against anybody.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX