Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Platesetter and/or adjustable rig quandary

Options
Zaltydog
Zaltydog Posts: 106
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello all-

I have a few cooks cooks under my belt now with my LBGE.  I held off on buying the platesetter when I bought the egg until I could determine what indirect method might be best for me.  I have read many comments here regarding indirect cooking and the systems/ingenuity is incredible.  I have not solved my quandary.

I fully anticipate doing pizza, ribs, and brisket in the future.  I also cook for larger groups on occasion so the rig would be good for that.  The platesetter appears to be used by many veterans here.  It appears to me that the platesetter takes up a larger footprint then the adjustable rig when set-up for indirect cooking.  Does the platesetter result in a larger area of indirect cooking?  Does it really matter?  I am strongly leaning towards the AR.  Do the platesetter and AR essentially function the same way for indirect cooking?

Thanks for all the information I have found here previously.  I have found that I no longer need TV since I can log on here and find much better drama unfolding when following an overnight brisket cook!  This site has clearly been a great source of humor and information for me...

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I have a plate setter. My best friend has the ar. I would do the ar hands down. It's not even a close call.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    I think most people buy the plate setter when they buy the egg....only because they are unaware of the AR. If my PS breaks, I would get an AR.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    AR for me. Much more versatile than platesetter in that you get the indirect cooking ability plus multilevel capabilities, multiple raised grid configurations, the slide guides are great of you get them, etc..
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    AleBrewer said:

I think most people buy the plate setter when they buy the egg....only because they are unaware of the AR. If my PS breaks, I would get an AR.

+100 x 10 trillion!!!!!!! Perfectly said.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options

AR with the spider and a 13" stone.  Works great for indirect cooks.  They also make the 13"x17" that is suppose to be great for ribs.

• friscoag
    friscoag Posts: 97
    Options
    I agree on the AR.  I have it, plus the slide guides, its greatness.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options

I have both and mostly use the AR.  I still use the PS for pizza and for roasting without the grate on a rack with drip pan.  If you are concerned with real estate then use the oval stone.  It actually covers more of the lump than the PS giving you more indirect real estate.

George

George
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The only money I regret spending was for a large and small plate setter. If I can pass on anything please look into the adj rig and spider with stones or pans for indirect. IMO much better money spent  (and we spend a lot of money on Eggs)......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I have both and use both, mostly because I've done indirect on both XLs at the same time.  The AR/Woo2  combo is far more versatile and easy to use.  The platesetter is easier to keep clean with tin foil.  If I was only going to have one or the other, I would go with the AR/Woo2 combo and call it a day.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• TaylorCR
    TaylorCR Posts: 34
    Options
    I was in your position too ... sorta still am.

I was trying to decide between the platesetter/AR/Woo...Finally decided to go with the AR.

Now I cant decide whether or get the Customer Combo (13"stone, 13.5" drip pan, Spider, 16.5"round/ 13"x17"oval grid) or the R&B Combo (13"x17" oval stone, 13"x17" oval grid, slide guide & crossbar) 
    I stole two Charolais heifers ...

Little Rock, Arkansas

• Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    Options
    Thanks for the input!  An AR it is.  Now I am in the same boat as you TaylorCR.  I am leaning towards the R and B combo but am concerned about using the oval shape for pizza.  Is one able to use a 16.5" round stone with the oval configuration?
  • TaylorCR
    Options
    Well some people only use 1 stone... so that wouldnt be a problem.

If you cook the pizza indirect with 2 stones - one being the indirect piece & the other being the pizza stone, then I dont think there is any difference... there probably is & I just haven't realized it... yet. 

But in my mind they are both 13" diameter stones...one is just circular & one oval.  I believe the indirect coverage would be the same if not more with the oval stone.

Little Rock, Arkansas

• TaylorCR
    Options
    FWIW Im leaning towards the R&B combo as well... Im just trying to figure out if having the spider is worth it / necessary. 

My concerns are with pizza as well...although Im not sure they are justified. 

Little Rock, Arkansas

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Get the R&B combo and then get a 16" stone from them too....problem solved...you'll be glad you have the versatility of all the ceramic pieces.
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Options
    +100 x 10 trillion!!!!!!! Perfectly said.
    I sold my platesetter, took a $20 loss, and got the AR Customer combo.  I don't regret it.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL