Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just bought BGE a couple months ago and this is the 3rd time trying to cook on it

bbqlearner
bbqlearner Posts: 760
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

This weekend, I tried cooking pork ribs on my large BGE. Here's the set up before it all starts. First time try using the stoker system that's just been delivered as well and it works great.I ran temp at around 250 for approx. 4-5 hours and ended up getting "fall off the bone" ribs that fell apart when I was doing the bend test. Made the family happy this weekend with piggie food :)   

imageimageimage

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Those ribs look great!!  Welcome to the family!!

Since you have a Stoker, when are you doing a butt or brisket cook?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • bbqlearner
    Thanks Cazzy. I actually already did a brisket cook as a trial (my first time) before I bought the stoker and I didn't sleep through the night from worrying over it. After that, I immediately ordered the stoker. The stoker just arrived this weekend so I broke it in with ribs first (don't want to shock it too early) but will probably try brisket soon - maybe next week - will post pics if I do it   :D

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Niiice!  I'm far from being a manly man, so I've never envisioned myself staying up and babysitting a cook.  That reason alone and my need to tinker and be geeky is why I got a Stoker.  

Can you get packers in your neck of the woods?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Looks good to me:)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • bbqlearner

Yep - I'm in Houston so I already had 2 packers in my freezer ready to pounce on whenever I'm ready.

Well, the babysitting is partly my fault - I didn't know enough about the egg so it ran out of lump mid-way so I got to re-start the fire mid-way. Anyway, part of the learning curve of getting to know your egg. As I posted, this is only my third time on the BGE so it's been a learning experience and on the ribs this time, the stoker fan didn't even kick in at all for the 4-5 hours cook because BGE was able to hold temp at 250ish - 260. I quickly learned that BGE is an awesome and efficient smoker if the egghead is knowledgeable enough :D

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496

Yep - I'm in Houston so I already had 2 packers in my freezer ready to pounce on whenever I'm ready.

Well, the babysitting is partly my fault - I didn't know enough about the egg so it ran out of lump mid-way so I got to re-start the fire mid-way. Anyway, part of the learning curve of getting to know your egg. As I posted, this is only my third time on the BGE so it's been a learning experience and on the ribs this time, the stoker fan didn't even kick in at all for the 4-5 hours cook because BGE was able to hold temp at 250ish - 260. I quickly learned that BGE is an awesome and efficient smoker if the egghead is knowledgeable enough :D

Bbqlearner,

Why do you think you ran out of lump? Did you not have the enough in or did the fire just die out? Just curious as I too am about to do a brisket... and would love to get some sleep that night. I did pick up the Maverick remote sensor so I can be alerted if the temp drops below a predetermined threshold.

XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • bbqlearner

I didn't fill the lump enough into the firebox. Never thought you need to fill it up past the firebox into the fire ring and since it's only my second time using the BGE, I didn't know better. Anyway, filled it up higher this time around just to make sure.

This picture shows you how much lump in my first cook (cooking ribs at the time) and it was just enough so for the second cook (cooking brisket and ribs), I used lump slightly more than that (sorry - I didn't take picture) but it ran out.

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Thanks, I appreciate the info. I will make sure to load mine up good before starting the overnighter!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • BGE4Life
    BGE4Life Posts: 34
    Pictures look great and the food must have tasted the same.  Time to start practicing with the egg, Wow, only 3 cooks in a couple months, it seems most people on here cook at least weekly, many daily.
  • bbqlearner
    Sorry many things going on past couple of
    months. Was gone out of the country for a while and was out of town for brother's wedding as well.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    ... the stoker fan didn't even kick in at all for the 4-5 hours cook because BGE was able to hold temp at 250ish - 260.

Are you sure your fan didn't kick in at all? Seems a little long for it to not kick in considering the bottom vent allows very little air in while the fan is in & not running. I see you have DFMT off in the first pic but the dome temp looks really low so I'm assuming the pic was taken during your start up & you put the top on later. I'm just asking to make sure your Stoker fan is assigned properly before you tackle a long butt or brisket cook. Good job on the ribs.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • bbqlearner
    I'm pretty sure unless the stokemaster didn't register it correctly. The graph kept track of when my fan kicks in. The only time it kicks in was the beginning when the temp was initially rising.

Yes - the picture was at start - didnt put daisy wheel in yet. I put it on a bit later.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    If your fan kicked in during the start you should be good!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA