Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scored three tri-tips yesterday

bettysnephew
bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Wife wanted to go to a huge furniture store in Des Moines, IA yesterday to do some shopping for the house.  She picked out a new chair and an end table and I got a new recliner.  After 10 years+ the old La-Z-Boy has seen better days.  We were close to a Sam's club and stopped in to see if they had any tri-tip.  They did but it was cut into steaks.  I asked the butcher if they had any whole in the back and they had a large package.  He offered to open it and break it down, so we bought three.of the slabs.

It is presently in the fridge and at least some will be on the Egg this afternoon for dinner.

How about some suggestions for Dizzy Rub, I have the sampler pack which appears to have one of everything.  Light mustard and which flavor do you suggest?

Also, should I freeze the other two raw or cook and then freeze for later use.?
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Dizzy red eye with some chunks of red oak works great no mustard 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    The only tri-tip I can get locally is already pre packaged and marinaded.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    +10 trillion on red eye express
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    Oh yea, get the coals as hot as possible and throw the meat in with no grate for a min per side. Let the egg cool to about 450 and raised direct till 140 internal. It makes some of the best sammys ever.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
     + 1 on travis method as well .... just make sure to use red oak for the true santa maria taste anything else is just .. well whatever.... 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • bettysnephew
    Is there any prep work that needs to be done to the tri-tip before putting the rub on?  Washing, membrane removal, brining, etc.?
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • travisstrick
    Is there any prep work that needs to be done to the tri-tip before putting the rub on?  Washing, membrane removal, brining, etc.?
    None that I have ever done. I will sometimes marinade in something for fun but thats it. 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Treat them just like a steak.  I season mine with some Montreal seasoning or just some coarse sea salt and cracked pepper.  Sear them a couple of minutes on each side, then insert my probe and cook to 135, after the grill has cooled to around 400.

No need for mustard or a lot of rub. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136

Are they trimmed on one side and with a layer of fat on the other? If your tri tips have a layer of fat on both sides you might consider trimming the top side off at least one of them since you have 3 of them. I would not apply mustard.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    This is how I do mine almost every time. Trim it up nice and neat. I think you will really like it. EGGFEST 2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011 Santa Maria Style Tri-tip Richard Miller aka Morro Bay Rich Morro Bay, CA   2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts Basting Sauce, recipe follows Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows Seasoning Salt Mixture: 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper 2 teaspoons white pepper 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper 1 teaspoon onion powder 4 tablespoons granulated garlic 2 tablespoons salt Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl Basting Sauce: ½ cup red wine vinegar ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl. Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain. This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find. I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.
  • bettysnephew
    edited July 2012
    Thanks everyone.  This time I will have to use Dizzy Pig rubs.  I have the sampler pack and will be using Red Eye Express and one of the other spicy rubs.  It has to be ready for lunch tomorrow, so I will start cooking in the morning.  Will try the Santa Maria type the next time when I have time to amass the ingredients.    Again my thanks. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • bettysnephew
    Well, the tri-tip cook is off for lunch today.  The wife got a call very early this morning from one of her Pacific Rim customers that has an aircraft on ground emergency (AOG).  She had to go into work and get started to export the parts to get it flying again. These type of deals pretty much mean all hands on deck to get things packed and paper work done and shipping to where the plane is disabled.  At this point it looks like tomorrow lunch is the game plan.  I guess it's a good thing it's not a long low/slow. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • travisstrick
    Can't wait for pics and a write up. Tri tip is one of my favs.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    +1 on the Morro Bay Rich recipe....good stuff.
  • DeaconKav
    DeaconKav Posts: 84

Good Job on the socre, I cooked my first Tri Tip Saturday and probably my favorite thing I have cooked so far. Here is my post with some pics.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141807/tri-tip-success-thanks-to-all-who-post#latest

This forum is like an XL NFL playbook. So much knowledge in here, and some really great people to help.