Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Center cut pork loin?

Options
michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
My wife just got home with a 10lb center cut boneless pork loin. How the hell do I cook this bad boy lol? I am thinking of chopping it up so I can freeze it, but I would love to hear what you guys think is a good way to prepare/cook it.

Thanks,

J

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    Options
    when in doubt throw it in the crock pot.  I believe that piece of meat tends to get dry when cooked. 
  • michigan_jason
    Options

when in doubt throw it in the crock pot.  I believe that piece of meat tends to get dry when cooked. 
    This thing is 2.5ft long! I cannot do that lol. Even though it is 90* here in michigan, I still want to egg lol.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    You'll have to brine it to have any chance of it being not dry. You can also butterfly it open, put on whatever you like, and roll it up. Even then I would brine it for a bit. That thing would feed a small army, good luck.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • michigan_jason
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Lol, I just had the idea of slicing it in about 3/4inch slices like a pork chop.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited July 2012
    Options
    well.  it's just pork chops that aren't cut up.  any meat will be dry when overcooked, so just don't overcook it. 

guys guys guys.

it's a roast if left as is.  it's chops (which is what people call pork steaks, for some reason) if sliced.

cured, it's back bacon.

slow cooked as a roast, it is perfect.  you can slow cook any roast. slow cooking does not dry out meat.  lo-and-slo does NOT mean it will be pullable.  but it will be pullable if you cook it lo and slo until it pulls (190-195). but here's the thing. it doesn't have a ton of fat or connective tissue.  so it'll fall aprt (any meat will), it just won't be re-wetted with melted fat and gelatinized collagen. 

so slow roast it to 140-145. (you have heard of slow roasting.  that's nothing more than lo and slo)

or make steaks and cook them the same way you would a rib eye.  but refer to it as a 'chop' if you still feel the need.

any meat may be cooked at low temps.  how long you cook it, and to what temp will dtermine what you end up with.

any meat can be grilled, too. 

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    Options
    Yeah you will probably be best cutting it into pork chops.  I would freeze some unless you plan on living on porks chops for a while.  I like to put johnnys seasoning salt on them.  I used to just cook them on a skillet..this was before the egg.. i havent really tried them on the egg yet.  I imagine you could just cook them like youd cook some chicken
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    cut a loin roast and stuff it i just did one was great , make boneless pork chops out of some or Canadian bacon even or the old standby cook some in sauerkraut   
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    @stike

You never disappoint, thank you very much! Your words just make sense, period.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    I am just going to cook the damn things, lol, internal 140 and pull/rest. Seems simple. I will freeze the majority as I do not have an army.

• stike
    Options
    here is the same thing he has.  you are NOT restricted to chops.

roasted at 350 or so, rolled and stuffed.

cured and made into loin (back, or 'canadian') bacon

done it as a striaght up pork roast many times, just never took any pics because it's not really that interesting a cook.  great food, but nothing more than season and roast. too easy to deserve pics.  and we've all cooked chops, o no pics of those either

• michigan_jason
    Options
    @stike

This is what I figured, just seems like a huge piece of meat and I didn't know if there was something special I should do other than what my natural instincts were. I suppose my instincts were correct, and I will do as I planned and you mentioned.

So 140* internal is a safe temp then correct?

• stike
    edited July 2012
    Options
    'safe'?
    you are asking the wrong guy.

safe at 140, texture-wise you may like it around 145-50.  your wife will prefer 165.  your mother and grandmother 180.

hasn't been a case of trichinosis in commercial pork in a couple generations.  most trich is from game hunting.

as far as bacteria, it's all on the outside of a roast. no bacteria in meat that we are concerned with anyway. 

i like 140, and after resting it may be 145 or a little higher.  try 150 your first time out, because 140 will still be pink.  think medium or medium-rare pork.  most people can't handle that having been taught (as i was) that pork needed to be hard dry and grey when it hit the plate. heck, my mom's pork chops weren't done til they curled up from shrinking so much that they made their own little bowl for the applesauce

but you can have it rare just like beef (why would beef be safe at rare temps, but not pork?), and you can even age it if you want.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Definitely roll it out and stuff it. One of our favorites.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Roll it out, hmm... damn... I was so close to my decision.

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options

Bacon wrapped.  This is happening right now. 

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    My plan exactly ala bbq pit boys

• stike
    Options
    Aber das is eine tenderloin. Still gold though
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Last time I bought one, I cut it in half. One half I butterflied and rolled up around spinach, mushrroms, onions and cream cheese, then wrapped in bacon. The other half got sliced up into chops.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings