Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza & grill extender?

Rogie
Rogie Posts: 3
edited August 2011 in Forum List
If I use a grill extender and two pizza stones can I cook two pizzas at once? Or does anyone have a suggestion for cooking multiple pizzas on a large BBG?

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    not seen much success with two at once pizzas... pizzas need extreme radiant temp top and bottom to cook right.... 
    Kent Madison MS
  • Rogie
    Thanks for the reply!
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    They don't really take that long to cook. Once you make your own pizza on the egg you won't want to buy it.
  • Rogie
    I agree 100%!! the pizzas i've made on the BBG have been some of the best i've ever had. This coming weekend I am having 9 guests and thought by using a grill extender and two pizza stones that maybe I could feed more people at once. Maybe I'll cook them on the Egg and use my Weber to keep them warm.
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Here is my setup that works very well and keeps the bottom of the crust from burning.  The fire brick in the middle absorb the high intensity heat and transfer a constant hot temp to cook the pizzas to perfection.  This setup needs 45 minutes at 450-500 to stabilize.  I found them at a local brick supplier that specialized in outdoor fireplaces and grills.  They are rated at 3000 degrees, as a result the Egg will never get hot enough to hurt these "bad boys".  They are 2" x 4" x 9" and are a solid chunk with a high alumina content.  I searched on line and found a good deal for 4 similar bricks for about $45 shipped.  They weigh about 4 lbs each.  I was driving to Wilmington from Southport and saw this place on my left that had outdoor fireplace setups.  They have the whole kit of material set up for each model.  As soon as I saw the fire brick inside the fireboxes I headed for the office.  The owner, Mr. Bianchi greeted me and was very helpful.  I explained to him what I needed and he walked over to a brick display shelf to get a sample.  Boom!  Just what I have been looking for for 4 months.  The best part, $6.72 out the door.  I have found my best deals by just looking around and asking good questions.  I have been building and making things for over 30 years.  

I was a Journeyman Patternmaker for the Ford Motor Company in the first half of my career.  I spent the last 18 years in the Engine Manufacturing Development Operation which was directly tied into Ford's Research & Development Center.  My background gives me great insight to design of things like the EGG, especially the accessories that make things organized and ready to "Smoke".  

In the pics you will see the layers of material between the fire and cooking surface have been greatly increased.  The fire brick will suck up most of the direct intense heat.  When you have the Egg breathing right it gives off tremendous heat and can reach temps above 900 degrees.  The heat transfer from the brick to the Plate Setter and then to the Baking Stone is very stable with no hot spots.  I only use this set up for making pizza and baking my breads.  I am going to try my next long and slow cook with the new bricks.  I think they will perform beautifully.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • JayHawkEye
    JayHawkEye Posts: 196
    Get another egg!
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • RGTERP
    RGTERP Posts: 10
    Sam, this post has been a bug help thanks"
  • Do you guys (& Gals) use a commercial pizza dough from a local pizzeria or make your own? I was planning on using pizza dough from Trader Joe's. I saw my local Safeway sells fresh pizza dough as well.
    Still a Rookie after 3 years and always will be learnin'. Love my LBGE!
  • RGTERP
    Lesson learned number one. When I make the pizza I need to assemble it on a piece of parchment paper so that I can transfer it to my pizza stone.

Question. How can I maintain the 475 degree temperature? I got it up to the right temp, then when I put the pie in it went down. I was able to get it back to 450, but not the 475.

Still a newbie...

• RGTERP
    Here is a picture of my first pie. Tasted great
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    RGTERP, That's a fantastic first pie! 

If you arrange your charcoal well before you start, you should be able to maintain 600-650 without a problem.  Bigger lumps at the bottom...

Also, you can ditch the parchment paper if you use a peel.  Easier and more impressive (usually!).

I use TJs dough most of the time.  Tried making my own, but TJs was better and much more convenient.
    Mamaroneck
  • I use TJs dough most of the time.  Tried making my own, but TJs was better and much more convenient.

Thanks Mama, TJ's is going to be my first pie.

Still a Rookie after 3 years and always will be learnin'. Love my LBGE!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Yes you can cook two pizzas at once. If you go over to the other forum you will see where I posted my pics. I use the spider with the small pizza stone as indirect. I then have the raised grod with the oval stone on the lowest level. This is where my first pie goes. I use a small 12" Air Bake pizza pan (search google)..the next level above that has a large pizza stone on it. I also use a small Air Bake pizza pan on that stone...so I have 3 pizza stones and 2 pizza pans...let me know if you have any questions
  • vidalia1
    BTW...even with that much mass in the BGE it gets to temp of 550-650 easily
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136

Do you guys (& Gals) use a commercial pizza dough from a local pizzeria or make your own? I was planning on using pizza dough from Trader Joe's. I saw my local Safeway sells fresh pizza dough as well.

Most of the time I use the Safeway dough. It does fine cooking in the 425-550 range. Here's my last pizza cook using Safeway dough: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1201993#Comment_1201993

I hear the TJ's dough burns if you take it too high but I'm not sure of the upper limit (but can say 750+ was
    not good).
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • vidalia1
    Go to a Super WalMart and in the frozen bread section you should find bags of Pepe's of NY frozen dough...it is some of the best store bought we have found...just let it sit out a minimum of 3-4 hours before using if possible...great dough.
  • RGTERP

If you arrange your charcoal well before you start, you should be able to maintain 600-650 without a problem.  Bigger lumps at the bottom...

Also, you can ditch the parchment paper if you use a peel.  Easier and more impressive (usually!).

I use TJs dough most of the time.  Tried making my own, but TJs was better and much more convenient.
    Thanks for the kind words on my pie. It tasted great, but I can do better! I use Publix bakery Pizza dough. I love the flavor and consistency.I have a large paddle for placing and removing the pie from the stone. I am not sure what a peel is!
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255

Thanks for the kind words on my pie. It tasted great, but I can do better! I use Publix bakery Pizza dough. I love the flavor and consistency.I have a large paddle for placing and removing the pie from the stone. I am not sure what a peel is!
    A peel is a large paddle for placing and removing the pie from the stone. :D
    XL BGE
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    When I purchase a pizza peel I will get this one....http://www.superpeel.com/index.html
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    When I purchase a pizza peel I will get this one....http://www.superpeel.com/index.html
    That is cool!  I'm gonna make me one.
  •  As an old retired Professional Baker, I have a suggestion to make on placing the pizza both on and off the Grill. After tearing an occaisional pie, I remembered an old utensil I once used! It is called a pizza screen.
    It is probably a rare item in the average home, but is inexpensive and can be found in any restaurant supply store. I spray the screen with olive oil,place the rolled out dough on the screen, add the toppings and place the screen on the pizza peel. This allows you to easily slide the pizza onto the stone and with the same ease, remove it with the peel.
    The screen does not interfere with the baking process in any way!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice!  That might be the panacea I'm looking for.
  • All you have to do with a peel is remember to use Corn Meal (NOT STARCH) on the pizza peel and some on the stone. It allows the fresh made pizza to slide right off onto the stone in the egg. If I am making a pizza with a lot of "wet" ingredients I also mist a small amount of olive oil on the top of the crust before I add the ingredients. You could use Pam but I like the flavor of olive oil better. The oil seems to cut down on the transfer of liquid to the crust leaving it crisper.
  • The idea behind using the pizza screen is to avoid two, small, problems that anyone who has ever used a peel will have to admit, has happened to them. First, no matter how experienced you are an occasional crust will stick to the peel and stretch, sometimes tear. Also, when taking the Pizza off the stone a careless move can destroy an edge. This does not Affect the eating, but as an old perfectionist, I just found a way to avoid those problems! At 79 and starting to learn to cook and bake before I was a teenager, I have never thought I was unable to find a better way. Another thing I have found is the use of semolina on your peel instead of corn meal. Of course that is only personal preference! Still the pizza screen works the best on the Egg and has no effect on the final outcome, the best Pizza in the world.
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    I agree 100%!! the pizzas i've made on the BBG have been some of the best i've ever had. This coming weekend I am having 9 guests and thought by using a grill extender and two pizza stones that maybe I could feed more people at once. Maybe I'll cook them on the Egg and use my Weber to keep them warm.
    Two pizza can be cooked at the same. Here is the method I use:
      1. Fill clean firebox with load of lump.
      2. Place first platesetter legs up.
      3. Set two sections of  "GrillGrates on the platesetter.
      4. Set Pizza stone next.
      5. Place a second platesetter with legs down and match up the legs of the two platesetters.
      5. Mini 10 Woo Ring goes on next.
      6. Second pizza stone goes on top of the
    Mini 10 Woo Ring.

This configuration gives about a 4 inch cooking compartment for each pizza.