Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

recommendations for roast

krobertsmsn
krobertsmsn Posts: 655
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am new to all of this...I would like to try a roast on my egg tomorrow. What method (indirect/direct, raised etc) should I follow? Please suggest any recipe you find noteworthy. I will also be doing chicken legs.
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    roasts are always indirect, otherwise they'd be very big steaks. you might do a portion of the cook direct, but you don't need to, and you will get a brown crust vs. blak grill marks by simply doing it in one indirect cook

what kind of roast are you doing?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

stike who just happens to be best friends with many notables (Justin included) will not steer you wrong. Check out his avatar!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Depends on the type of roast,  Chuck roast is a lot different then standing rib roast.  My pulled beef Chuck roast turned out nicely by:
    5 lb. Chuck Roast

Redeye Redmeat rub

250 degrees indirect for 5 hours (internal temp 160)

Place in pan, add beef broth, cover with foil

Back on egg for 1 – 2 hours until internal temp is 200

‘Let rest

krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    It's a bottom round. I usually do chuck in the crockpot. I wonder if this will dry out too much? I guess we'll see! 
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it will only be dry if you overcook, but stop short of it being pullable. 

do you want pullable beef, or a sliceable roast?

in a crock pot,m you think it isn't dry because there's probably a bunch of other liquid in there adding back moisture after it falls apart.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante