Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How old is this mini...

Options
Star-Seeker
Star-Seeker Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have purchased this BGE Mini used and I am wondering if it is the newer size or the older version.  Not sure what dimensions have changed.  Please see photo and if you can identify an approx age or size it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Handle and nest suggest older. Did you get a deal?
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Star-Seeker
    Options
    I think so... It is in great condition with the nest, tools , and a full bag of lump charcoal for $275.00
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Measure the cooking grid ... is it 9.5" or 10" across?
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options

I think so... It is in great condition with the nest, tools , and a full bag of lump charcoal for $275.00

Just depends on age. Stainless door makes it newer but not young.
    Not a steal but I'd prolly bought it if in as good a shape as it looks.

XLBGE 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

The size hasn't changed in a long time. That mini is probably 5 years old or so. I had an original mini where the diameter of the outside was just slightly smaller than the one you have but the ceramic was much thicker so the new fire ring wouldn't fit. I had to take a belt sander to the outside of the fire ring for several hours to get it to fit in my old mini. The cooking grid won't tell you either because BGE has switched back and forth from the 9.5" to 10" several times. The 10" will fit in the one you have I have the same one as you but I bought a new band for it and just got the 10" stainless grate off ebay the other day. I paid $140 for mine with a stand but it didn't come with any tools. Do some searching on the forum on that stand it wasn't made for the mini it was made for the Chimnea and there have beene pictures posted when the ceramic tries to expand when it gets hot the stand stops it and the bottom falls out of the mini. People have wrapped silver tape to about a 1/4" thick in 3 spots around the stand part the mini sits in to create a little space for the ceramic to expand and thats what I would do or don't use the stand. Some pics below of my old mini trying to get the ring in. You can tell if you have the old mini by the fire ring see how thick the used one is and its a smaller diamter. I was a poor design and wasted alot of space, you can see how much more cooking space I had after..image.image.image.image

• Star-Seeker
    Options
    Thanks for the info. My egg clearly has the newer fire ring in it. At the same time it only has a 9.5 inch cooking grid that swims in the space. I need to get a 10 inch grid and I think I will look for a new nest rather tape this one. Thanks again.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

You can always make a little stand for the mini much cheaper. Think this cost me about $10 and took about an hour to make.image