Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hello from SE NC

Newbbqer
Newbbqer Posts: 78
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just bought a LBGE. Have not even put it together yet, but can't wait to get it going. Looking forward to learning from everyone here, and maybe helping others. Trying to decide what my first cook is going to be, I will let you know how it goes.

Greg

Comments

• JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    Welcome. Where are you located. I'm at Holden Beach and only been doing this a short time. Lots of Eggers here in NC and really helpful group of people on the forum.
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Welcome!
    For your first couple of cooks try to keep the temps below 300. It will delay the inevitable gasket fry. I did chicken thighs, which I'd done several times on other cookers. Others here advised to start with something familiar as the methods on the egg are slightly different than what you're likely used to. Enjoy the experimentation and welcome to the cult. The koolaid is around back
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    welcome...we live in Winston-Salem.....there are a number of eggers in the RTP area and down around the beach....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Newbbqer
    I'm located in the Calabash area. Thank you for the tip of cooking the temps lower the first few cooks! Really excited to get started. Just waiting for the side tables so I can put it together and get started.
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Welcome aboard. Charlotte area here. Lot's of good advice don't hesitate to ask questions but brace yourself for dropping some cash on accessories.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Winston-Salem here. NC is a great place for Egging.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    You are in exactly the right place!  Just read the forum until your eyes bleed.  That's what I did.  You won't regret it.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Newbbqer
    Thank you everybody!  I have been doing A LOT of reading on the forum.  
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Newbbqer welcome aboard!

I'll be in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks.  Vacation in Cherry Grove, SC and play golf at Tidewater.  Every time we're there my wife makes a trip to Callabash to hit that nautical souvenir shop that has the christmas shop in the back, can't remember it's name.  The plus side, is we head right up the street to Callabash Creamery afterwards.

Enjoy your cooks, the Egg makes it too easy and enjoyable.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    edited July 2012
    Welcome! I currently live in FL but I've lived in:

Charlotte
    Charleston
    Raleigh (Cary)
    Myrtle Beach
    & The Outer Banks

Oh, and we take a golf trip to MB or just over the border every year. That sort of makes me a Carolinian.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Welcome from yet another NC egger. I live in Rolesville, just outside of Raleigh. You are in for some good times for sure.

@YEMTrey - Callahan's is the place you are talking about in Calabash. The wife and I hit that place up when we are over that way too.
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Egging in Southport NC.  Made my own Egg Pizza Station.  Two 25 x 30 granite wings make this rig ROCK!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Newbbqer
    Love your pic Ncbbq, go Pirates! Sam, that table is awesome, did you build it? Trying to decide if I want to spend the money for a table right away.
  • Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Welcome newbbqer. Enjoy he journey!
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Designed and built my table this spring.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Welcome from Emerld Isle, NC area. Great to have you aboard.This site has many,many excellent cooks and is full of great info,humor and mouth watering pics. Now time to start on your NC  pulled pork BBQ with the quintessential eastern NC vinegar based sauce!! 
  • Newbbqer
    Wooohoooo, the Egg is put together and ready for action! Now what to cook - Boston butt, brisket? Let the fun begin. Still doing a lot of reading on this forum, what a great group of folks sharing info!
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Love your pic Ncbbq, go Pirates! Sam, that table is awesome, did you build it? Trying to decide if I want to spend the money for a table right away.
    Thanks, hopefully they have a good year this year. I would go with the Boston butt, we are NC folks after all. I've been working on my brisket a little too. Boston butt is my best egg dish so far though.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Boston Butt is more forgiving than brisket.  Good luck, don't forget to take pics.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Welcome to the cult. There is no turning back now.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings