Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question on Grill Dome Extender

Options
dcscot
dcscot Posts: 2
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
HI, kind of new here, but been enjoying all the information on these forums.  Had a large for many years, primarily used for grilling, have just started down the smoking path and had good success due to the help found here.

I would like to add a second tier to my large and I have seen this unit from Amazon and was wondering if anybody has it or has tried it:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JF60DI/ref=pe_225750_24895510_pe_vfe_dt2

Would something like this be better or worse than a swing rack.  My concern on the swing rack is that it is always there and in the way when only doing single rack cooking. 

thanks...scott

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I think the top rack on the swing rack comes off. I maybe wrong, but I'm sure others will be along soon with the right answer.

I haven't seen anybody using that rack before. Doesn't mean its not good, might be new, or nobody has discovered it yet. Sure looks better than the BGE Extender that I have.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TigerRVer
    TigerRVer Posts: 27
    Options
    The top swing rack can be removed. The GD extender works if you don't mind porcelain. It can also be put under the main grate for searing or indirect. The swing rack is more useful and better made, but the GD extender is cheaper.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options
    Check out the ceramic grill store. I have the adjustable rig and spider. They are great.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options

I got this extender a month ago as I needed the extra space but have not heard good reviews on the BGE extender. So far, it's been working well.

It's probably not as good as the swing rack (I don't have the swing rack) but it's also much cheaper than the swing rack or the adjustable rig.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options

I was going to build an extender using a Weber grid and bolts, but I just found this for 19.99 on eBay with free shipping. I read some good reviews on it and it's got to be better than the BGE and not much more than building my own. If I'm wrong, I won't be out much.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    i got a smaller webber grid at home depot and use beer cans (empty of course) to lift it up.  i have the bge extender and i hated it.  i think i would like this one and it would be a little less hillbilly.
  • JwgreDeux
    Options
    webber grid and three 6" bolts (along with washers and nuts) works great.  Cost about $10.00 and since the bolts are threaded, you can adjust the distance between regular grate and raised grate.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    JwgreDeux said:
    webber grid and three 6" bolts (along with washers and nuts) works great.  Cost about $10.00 and since the bolts are threaded, you can adjust the distance between regular grate and raised grate.
    In the electrical section of Home Despot or Lowes, next to the uni-strut, you can buy 8' all-thread rods - they're cheap.  Buy nuts and washers that fit and you can rig up lots of stuff for the egg.