Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole pigs head on a medium

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I asked for some advice on how to cook o whole hog head. I decided from what you folks said, and from a few other forums, that it was not necessary to remove the eyes. I decided to anyway. It was much harder than I expected. I used and extremely sharp pointed knife I use for wood carving. It took much hard cutting to loosen the eyes from their sockets, and I used a wire cutter to sever the optic nerve.

I probably worried about all this too much. It turned out to be the best pork I have ever cooked, or even tasted.

The hardest part was fitting it in a MBGE. If I put it in snout up, as the vendor suggested, it just flopped over, and I couldn't close the dome. I found that I could wedge it into one of my larger drip pans, and get the dome closed if it sat on the grill w. 2 fire brick splits on it.

The usual vent setting did not yield a dome of 250. Cooked for several hours at dome 200. Eventually opened the vents to what I would expect to give 350, and had a dome of 270.

14 pound head. At 7 hours, all parts were above 190F.

The aroma of the fat I was spooning out of the pan was intoxicating. Image standing over a vat of frying bacon. It was a serious inducement to feeding frenzy.

A MOST sumptuous meal. My son had a good comment. "This is what steak aspires to be."

Happy Egging, all.

Comments

• billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    Thanks for the report.

I like your son's comment. "This is what steak aspires to be."  I totally agree.

It is a shame that whole pig heads are difficult to find in the markets.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yes. On my medium, harder than a turkey, but not as hard as a goose. Doesn't provide as much meat as the birds, but the quality of what there was was superb. Would make a great holiday treat.

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Out of curiosity. How many different spots of the head can be eaten? I'm not talking about edible stuff that you'd see on Fear Factor, I 'm asking about meat only.
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    Out of curiosity. How many different spots of the head can be eaten? I'm not talking about edible stuff that you'd see on Fear Factor, I 'm asking about meat only.
    Most of the meat is in the jowls but you would be surprised at the amount of of other meat hiding in various crevices. Everything but the bones is eatable and those bones can be used for stock. No pig head parts are Fear Factor worthy.

Chef Chris Cosentino gives an excellent You Tube explanation of of the treasures found on a pig's head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nByH6yPWYj8
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    billybon Thanks for the video. He made it look so easy to de bone that pig head.