Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lots of grease!!!!!!!!

Options
Lilpossum
Lilpossum Posts: 12
edited July 2012 in Poultry

I've been cooking for long time now but got my bgeXL for fathers day this year.My chicken thighs gave off so much grease that my drip pan started popping grease everywhere. I had to rush the thighs at 350 for an 1.5hr normally do thighs at 250 for 3-4 hrs.the disposable aluminum pan had no leaks in it but I think my plate sitter started cooking it!Food came out good as usual (corn,potatoes,stuffed peppers,scalions)Has this happened to anyone, I'm worried that the egg might take on the grease smell!

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Load it up and let it burn. If you are trying to save your gasket keep
    it at about 550-600. If you want a new gasket and make it white again
    take the top off and open up the bottom vent, it will look like new when
    its done. When I do it this way I take the thermometer out so I don't
    kill it.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Drip pan and a platesetter-to help significantly reduce the burning of the drip pan, create an air gap between the platesetter and pan.  You can use the BGE feet, washers, balled up foil etc.  The air is a great insulator and should take care of the issue.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Sounds like you had your drip pan directly on the place setter. As lousubcap said you want to elevate it to allow air flow and to keep it from burning. Me...I don't use a drip pan for thighs. If I was cooking indirect with a placesetter, I would just place some aluminum foil on it to prevent it from getting dirty and allow easy clean up. But I do my thighs direct, raised grate at about 400.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    (not tryna be a hoser:  but it's actually 'plate' setter.   it's used in ceramics firing to hold a plate, and is stackable, for firing more than one plate at a time, hence the name.)
    :)>-
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Why didn't they call it a "plate stacker"?
    edited July 2012
    Options
    >shrug<
    ask the ceramics industry.

maybe because you set a plate on it? i dunno. Know eye deer
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante