Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ignition source ?

Options
2»

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i use this can be found at lowes and amazon hooked to my old gasser's propane tank 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I would hold the torch a bit farther back, but no, the tank will not blow up.  There is little or no oxygen in the tank, so it will not support combustion, the air is mixed with the fuel in the torch head.  You only need heat on the charcoal to light it, but the very  hottest part of the flame is where the inner blue white part of the flame tip ends and will cause the spalling of the charcoal resulting in many sparks.   The Looft lighter and other high temperature electric heat guns will ignite charcoal with no flame at all. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Looftlighter. Works great!
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • Fishingtampabay
    Options
    Mapp torch for about 20 seconds

Me too...
    Same here Mapp torch. Works great....got the Mapp from home depot 3yr ago. Still going, also used for some home projects too.