Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally got my Egg and fired it up within 24 hours of bringing it home!

Options
YEMTrey
YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Brought my XL home from the Cincy Porkopolis Fest yesterday.  What a great fest and good time!

XL is now in its home on my patio.  Wanted to use it, but the threat of scattered thunderstorms kept me at bay all day.  Went outside to uncover it and clean it out.  Rolling thunder in the background, but it's moving away from my area. Figure what the hell, just fire it up and get used to getting it started and controlling temps.
Now, I have a gasser and an offset smoker already on the patio, and have made some excellent food on both, but this XL Egg is amazing.  You can control temp very easily, it recovers temp amazingly fast.  I knew it was a good purchase, but today even floored me.  So happy I didn't let the weather scare me off today.
Dry rubbed about a dozen jumbo wings and put them on the egg.  Too easy.  Turned out amazing.  Excellent flavor, moist as all get out and the family loved them.

Can't wait to fire it up again. Wish I could call in to work tomorrow and get a pork shoulder or some ribs on!
-Steve
Steve 
XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Comments

• YEMTrey
    Options
    I would have liked to fire it up last night when I got it home, lol.  But an entire day, 9:30 to 6pm, out in those humid temps took it's toll on me. Had a couple bud's help me get it from my truck to the patio and was spent.  Took a nice cold shower and celebrated my egg with some cold beers.
    The egg sits on my patio, right outside my screened in patio, so I plan on using it year round.  The egg will be the centerpiece of football season.  So happy right now.

Cheers!
    Steve
    Steve 

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    How was the EggFest? I could not make it even though it was only 2 hrs away, bummer! Welcome to the obsession!
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    24 hours Shame on you! Just kidding. You going to really enjoy and there is a lot of eggsperience here. Welcome
    Large, small, and a mini
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Why take off work for the low and slow. No need to tend to it. Just set it up, go to work, come home, then eat. Take the next day off due to a food hangover.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Congrats your going to love it .
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    Why take off work for the low and slow. No need to tend to it. Just set it up, go to work, come home, then eat. Take the next day off due to a food hangover.
    This is a very likely scenario once I get more comfortable dialing in the temps. 

But until then, I'll enjoy the ride. Nothing better than sitting in the screened in patio, some Brother Duane Allman on the stereo, cold beer in my hand, and the egg cookin' away. Perfect.
    Steve 

• Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Options
    Welcome to the cult YEM. Enjoy the journey.