Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for tomorrow's smoked turkey breast

Options
Wayne at the Beach
edited July 2012 in Poultry
I have a little more than 5 lb. turkey breast brining in the fridge. The ultiimate goal is good sandwich portions of smoked turkey breast. I am reluctant to do it too low and slow (rubbery skin and other uncooked chicken horrors). I think we all overdo the low and slow thing sometimes. If I want to go a little hotter and quicker, can anyone share their experience? 325 for 2 hours? Any ideas?

Comments

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    I do mine low and slow with apple wood and have great results. However if you do not want to do it low and slow, I would just go with the guidelines that you would use in an oven. Be sure you use a plate setter or other means of indirect heat. Cook to 160 - 165.
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    I did 2 half breasts last weekend and did them spat chock style. Turned out great. I do not think that poultry is a great meat for low and slow.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • deeznutz
    deeznutz Posts: 13
    Options
    5lbs tb, 375, stuffed for 45min direct.  Perfect except for rubbery skin.  I used apple wood though.  Go smokeless and the skin should turn out
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    375 indirect with pecan wood.  The richest, brownest skin and great taste.  Cook to temp, not time.  They get done quicker than you would think.