Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie troubles- keeping it lit

Options
MamaLove
MamaLove Posts: 0
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
So... I'm a proud new owner of a LBGE and so excited! My first attempt was a success-fajitas. My second-pulled pork, not so much. I got the egg to 200-ish put the butt on at 10pm and went to bed. The next am... No fire, and a very little cooked butt. Lit her up again and then fought all day with the egg to keep the temp low. After 8 more hrs, I took the meat off to sit. The result was not pulled pork, but pork that while tasty and juicy, not pullable. What did I do wrong???

Comments

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    What temp did you pull it off at? How long did you maintain 225 dome before going to bed? I had to start the fire, wit for it to get good and lit, then put in plate setter and raised grid, then watch thr cooker for about 1 hour to get to 225 to 250 I overshot thr temp, then put the butts on and wait agin and fiddle with the temp until I had it rock steady at 225 ish. It bet I watched it over 3 hrs total before going to bed. I think you just rushed it. More experienced cooks will chime in. Also, next time post when you are cooking and people will respond. For example I posted photos of is this enough lump, etc. they are Rey helpful here. As I have been told, just enjoy the journey! Welcome to the Obsession! You will be making great PP in no time!
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options

Let your coals get going with the dome open.After they are going ( not to much or you'll be chasing your temps).Then close the dome and let it get going with out the daisy wheel.When your temp gets  to 200 -225 put on the daisy wheel and set the top and bottom dampers.See Grampa Grub link below.Let your temp stabilize at 250' for at least 30 minutes and don't put your meat on until the smoke coming out of your dome is gone or is almost invisible. Practice  makes perfect.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/746823/x/p1

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Listen to Lizzie-she has absorbed a tremendous amount of very good info in a short-time.  Learning by doing is a great teacher.  And for pulled pork you need to get the meat temp into the 190's at least.  You will have very tasty sliceable pork once into the 160's which is probably what happened.  Cook to temperature not time is a mantra, not only for BGE's...Time to get back on the horse:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Thanks Lousubcap! Yup back on the horse you go! It's a great ride!