Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any idea how old this Mini is??

Lowflyer
Lowflyer Posts: 785
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Found this mini for sale for $200 and the owner doesn't know how old is. Looks a lil dated to me. Not sure if it has any accessories, I'm still waiting to hear back. Any idea how old it is and what would be a fair offer?
ThanksPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    A baby Egg! (no idea!)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Offered him $125 this morning and he said $200 firm. Its old I would guess 7-8 years due to the black bottom vent.
  • Eller
    Eller Posts: 56
    I'd go $200 if there are no cracks in the ceramics.
  • Golfanatic
    Golfanatic Posts: 33
    Ha I offered $150 too an he said no
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    The older minis have a smaller interior, which could make it hard to fit any replacement parts in there, if needed. I've seen where people have had to sand off a bit around the circumference of a new fire ring, to get it to squeeze inside. They come with a 9.5" cooking grid, as well. From what little you can see in the small pic, the bail handle, bottom vent and gasket condition, suggest it has spent most of its life, tucked away inside. I don't believe the old minis came with a daisy wheel, either.

If it's worth 200 bucks to you, knowing the tradeoffs you'll be making for getting an older model, then go for it. Otherwise, keep hunting.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Lit
    I wouldn't go over $125 because I would spend $30 replacing the bottom vent, $60 on the new band, and $35 on the new cast iron top vent. I didn't ask but I had a mini from back then and they didn't come with the top vent. For the price difference id just get a demo mini.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136

The black door is the one thing that screams old. I did quick search on past posts and it looks like stainless doors started appearing on larger Eggs (I couldn't find mention of a Mini specifically) in the year 2000. That's well before my Egging days started so I can't say for sure the Minis converted to stainless then but you'd think they would not long after. I suppose you could say it is no older than 12 yrs old.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • mrjwhit
    mrjwhit Posts: 83
    Is there any where that shows the different models over the years? I too have run a Ross a few older eggs and wants sure how old they were.
    Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    The only sure way to tell is saw in half and count the smoke rings.   =))
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Lol. Best post.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    U guys have a keen eye, I even cropped the baby swing out of the pic. I'll buy a new one before I spend $200 on an old one. I would like to find a deal on a newer small. The hunt continues.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728

=)) Damn funny
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346

=))  Well played sir, well played.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    I called the guy too yesterday :)
    it's missing the thermometer too, not sure it's worth it compared to a "new" demo mini
  • Lit

I got my first mini for $100 on CL looked alot like the one in this article. It was so old it had patent pending stamped across th ebottom but was in great shape. It still had the original gasket on it from like 12 years ago. Even though I got it for $100 I spent like $150 making it how I wanted it with a new bottom vent, new fire ring (the old fire ring was a smaller diameter and wasted alot of cooking area), new cast iron top vent, and new band. If I had known about demos then I would have just got a demo. I got a newew used mini off CL about a month ago for $140 and swapped the bands and sold my older mini to a friend that gives me alot of stuff for $100. I really wanted to keep both of them but I knew he had been looking for a mini for awhile so I couldn't do it. You can find them if your patient and quick.